It is currently December 14th, 2017, 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Duty Calls: Kettle Ops
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2011, 11:35 pm 

http://designreboot.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... e-ops.html

New blogpost--I thought Duty Calls was actually kinda funny, but it's actually pretty hugely hypocritical upon any kind of analysis. What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Duty Calls: Kettle Ops
PostPosted: February 4th, 2011, 2:29 am 

I'm glad I didn't download that piece of shit. When I first heard about it I thought they could do so much because there's a whole lot of stuff out of that franchise they could parody. But instead they did this? There were a few moments I found worthy of a chuckle, the linear corridors and the opening dialog over the satellite feed was amusing.

The rest was just blunt ham-fisted exposition like you'd find in an extremely poorly made parody film. Having a main character say something like "Oh I'm going to die now in order to raise the tension" is not funny. And it's extremely lazy and ineffective when you're working in a medium where you could've shown all of this happening or had you play through it happening.

You want to do a parody of FPS games? Serious Sam did it well. And it did it by exaggerating or contrasting the features of the games it was parodying: ridiculous overpowered guns (12 barreled shotgun), super macho protagonist, over sized enemies, bright colourful and cheerful atmosphere etc. But it was still fun to play and the parodies were amusing.

You also really do have to wonder why they bothered taking a cheap swipe at COD when they're not exactly putting anything new on the table.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2011, 2:50 am 

That's some Newgrounds/Collegehumor quality "parody". Humor in games is usually really lame, but this? It picks at some really vague elements of COD and runs them into the ground. It'd help them if they made it look more than marginally like COD or didn't exaggerate "negative" elements of COD that are virtually backseat to everything else.

Quote:
* @1:31 "You have picked up a small meaningless stick. Congrats." Incisive for most shooter games but again, Epic's own headlining franchise is equally as cut down here. Intel briefcases in COD single player games are exactly the same as COG tags in Gears of War titles.

Not entirely so- COG tags and such in GOW offer bits of backstory and lore. But, that's not much of an improvement.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2011, 3:44 am 

i didnt like how they did the rank up gag like 20 billion times but otherwise it was fine. they should have just made a video of it instead though, actually playing that thing would be such a waste of time lol

PostPosted: February 4th, 2011, 3:51 am 

...you guys have played the Bulletstorm demo, right? It should be pointed out that I'm pretty sure it's the shortest damn demo I've ever played in my existence (and that's including all those PS1 demo discs from Playstation Magazine about 15 years ago O_o).

PostPosted: February 4th, 2011, 12:38 pm 

I agree with gauss in that while I found it humorous, that parody is hugely overshadowed by the fact that Epic is guilty of the same sins, they just happen to be wrapped a little differently.

And as for the COG tags, I actually find those to be worse that the COD briefcases. Those I can at least ignore since they're just collection for collection's sake. With the COG tags there's gated content there, making missing them more frustrating since I'm losing out on content as a result. I've been writing a bunch on that kind of stuff in the unauthored death thread.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2011, 2:33 pm 

I think the most interesting thing about this viral advertisement for Bulletstorm is how hard it is to make a joke out of something that is essentially an unintentional parody already.

I may have posted this before, but I think it's a lot more funny than anything People Can Fly came up with.

As for Bulletstorm, and their "kill with skill" tagline, after looking at the list of possible lauds I came to the conclusion that you were rewarded for almost any combat action you could execute.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2011, 4:15 am 

Ninjas wrote:
I came to the conclusion that you were rewarded for almost any combat action you could execute.

It's probably going to be like CoD's multiplayer times ten. When I first played MW2 MP it was horrible. Everything little thing I did called for an achievement, big bold flashing letters and a loud sound clip. You just killed someone. You just killed someone with this weapon, you just stopped an enemy from getting a killstreak, you killed an enemy on a killstreak, you killed an enemy shooting someone else, you killed an enemy who killed you, you killed an enemy who was shooting you before, you died, you shot someone through cover, your killed someone by shooting him the left eyeball, you adopted five puppies, you just lost your virginity, you killed someone with a knife while they were trying to teabag your ally who was one kill short of a killstreak. You get rewarded for everything and everybody always gets at least some kind of reward.

The kill for skill deal is going to get old pretty fast.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2011, 5:13 am 

the gun is full auto though in the game and not semi auto?

PostPosted: February 5th, 2011, 8:45 am 

Ninjas wrote:
I think the most interesting thing about this viral advertisement for Bulletstorm is how hard it is to make a joke out of something that is essentially an unintentional parody already.

Which is why they should never have bothered.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2011, 1:04 pm 

well, it might get old for you Chaya, but apparently this is what the screaming masses desire. I mean, who thought achievements would be such a huge freaking deal? Turns out people love it when you pat them on the back, even when it's for the tiniest thing, so bulletstorm has built itself around that. The difference between this and CODBLOPS is that the latter titles were at least polite enough to leave the *whoosh* SHOT RELOADING SOLDIER IN LEFT TEET *whoosh* out of the single player. It's ubiquitous in bulletshits-- SP, MP, Co-op, everything you do in any game type will garner the *whoosh* SCROTUM SEPARATION (USING A CACTUS) *whoosh*.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably won't enjoy this game Chaya :cod:

PostPosted: February 6th, 2011, 6:48 pm 

wake wrote:
well, it might get old for you Chaya, but apparently this is what the screaming masses desire. I mean, who thought achievements would be such a huge freaking deal?

The games industry has grown a lot in the last decade, and in that time we have seen a rather severe dumbing down of content. The connection there is pretty clear I think. As many new people started playing games, they needed easy ones, but once we get over the hump in terms of it being mainstream to play games, the distribution of player types should get a lot more diverse.

Of course, that is only if the games exist that appeal to a broader audience. Making entertainment that appeals to more than one target demographic is something movies don't seem to have a problem with, but games haven't really mastered.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2011, 4:00 pm 

wake wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably won't enjoy this game Chaya :cod:

I won't say that it sucks before I try it but we'll see how much I'll be hampered in the game by refusing to kill in their ways. As I understand you get upgrades and whatnot with the kill points. We'll see if you can play normally without having to do all the combos.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 2:55 pm 

Get the demo off PSN and try it, if you have a PS3.
This apparently is what people want nowadays. Extremely boring "locked room full of enemies" levels.
Rewards for graphic and imaginative violence. Simple as hell approach to fighting your antagonists.
Your teammates are just setpieces, and not actual teammates.
Sure, the setpieces are very cool looking, the levels look like beautiful pictures, and the dismemberment animations are brilliant. This is not my type of game though. I admit that I am playing the campaign of ugly, buggy ArmA2 and loving every minute of it.
Come on developers, challenge my thought process! I would rather be challenged by the some complicated levels that must be tackled with some innovative tactics and imaginative playthrough than just run forward, tap the cover-button, and fire away. Screw it, I know you won't do that. I'll stick to my mods, indies and simulators for now.

Let us get back to the video. If this was PCF's attempt at humour, they might be doing that as a parody of their own games, and Epic's games, not only CoD. Why not joke about yourself?

PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 5:52 pm 

zombieOnion wrote:
This apparently is what people want nowadays. Extremely boring "locked room full of enemies" levels.
Rewards for graphic and imaginative violence. Simple as hell approach to fighting your antagonists.
Sure, the setpieces are very cool looking, the levels look like beautiful pictures, and the dismemberment animations are brilliant. This is not my type of game though. I admit that I am playing the campaign of ugly, buggy ArmA2 and loving every minute of it.
Come on developers, challenge my thought process! I would rather be challenged by the some complicated levels that must be tackled with some innovative tactics and imaginative playthrough than just run forward, tap the cover-button, and fire away. Screw it, I know you won't do that. I'll stick to my mods, indies and simulators for now.

Let us get back to the video. If this was PCF's attempt at humour, they might be doing that as a parody of their own games, and Epic's games, not only CoD. Why not joke about yourself?

sounds like dumb trash like serious sam then :cod:

PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 6:17 pm 

Dude if you would make a faux-realism-tom-clancy-Serious-Sam with achievements, that'd be golden.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 6:49 pm 

Sadly, I don't own a console. Just a PC.

I'll butt in, has anyone tried the leaked Crysis 2? Would you consider someone that has a dirty rotten bastard? IF you would I'm a dirty rotten bastard then.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 8:41 pm 

piracy is the natural result of deriving value from scarcity

PostPosted: February 13th, 2011, 7:27 am 

zombieOnion wrote:

Sounds like exactly what I expected, which is Painkiller but even worse and embarrassing as hell. I don't know why dumbass devs think that in order to make an oldschool fps you just have to run from arena to arena then throw a thousand enemies at you in there.