It is currently September 23rd, 2017, 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: books you read / books read / put on the shelf to look s
PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 1:27 pm 

Just read Cosmopolis by DeLillo. It works best if you imagine Packer is in a hazy dreamlike state from insomnia but nobody tells him that. A majority of people don't like it though so chances are you won't either. I found it great.

Also read the short story Tits up in a Ditch by Annie Proulx. Not much to say, it comments about war and life. Grim, but nicely told.

Currently on a few other books, mostly Pynchon, DeLillo and McCarthy.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 7:57 am 

Finally finished Y:The Last Man. Great series. I thoroughly recommend.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2013, 12:26 pm 

Thought I'd give Cormac McCarthy another go with no country for old men.
Not only do I now know what a fantastic adaptation the movie is, the book absolutely kicks the shit out of The Road, which was boring drivel IMO.

Chigurgh is a genuinely terrifying bad guy. Loved it.

Darkchild

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 2:04 am 

Just finished re-reading Catch 22. Still brilliant. I think I may have absorbed a bit more of it this time around.

Also discovered that in 1999 a journalist told Joseph Heller that he hadn't written anything as good since he wrote Catch 22. To which he replied: "No one else has either"

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 3:22 pm 

Skoosc wrote:
Just finished re-reading Catch 22. Still brilliant. I think I may have absorbed a bit more of it this time around.

Also discovered that in 1999 a journalist told Joseph Heller that he hadn't written anything as good since he wrote Catch 22. To which he replied: "No one else has either"

You just cost me $12. This better be worth it.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2013, 1:13 pm 

Ray Bradbury
Something wicked this way comes.

Prose was amazing. I had to read it out loud in my best reading voice to get the full experience.
Thinking of making a 3d model of the Illustrated man. Already have ideas for moving tattoo shaders.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 6:52 am 

Finished reading Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces. Going to have to give it another read at some point in the future because there's a lot to think over and absorb. The book attempts to give an explanation of the meaning behind all ancient myths and legends (greatly simplified spoiler: Be at peace with death through the destruction of the ego) and explains the symbology used. It's very thorough and uses myths from all over the world, rather than just being western-centric.

Unfortunately a number of the early chapters make reference to psychoanalysis and dream interpretation, which has been proven bunk since the book was published. But other than that it's a very interesting read.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2013, 12:24 pm 

Currently enjoying another batch of Dredd case files that were recently made available on Kindle. Gotta say I still love Rom Smith's work with 2000 AD (fucking hell this was 29 years ago), and that the dystopia they've crafted seems fairly close now.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2013, 1:16 pm 

Coincidentally, I'm reading the Rogue Trooper kindle edition atm.

Darkchild

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 1:19 pm 

I finally got around to picking up Glen Cook's The Black Company and have been reading the shit out of those. Already on book 4, very much enjoying it. Oh The Lady...

And I remember hearing somewhere way back that it was a major inspiration for the Myth games, but never realized just how direct a source it is. Rather than cheapen my appreciation for the game though, it's actually improved it for some reason. I think they did enough different with Myth that even though it's essentially a reinterpretation of the Black Company they both are great in their own rights.

I'm also slowly but surely wading through Guns, Germs, and Steel. It's great, just dense. I also have to laugh because when I first heard about it I thought everyone was saying "Guns of German Steel" and got reeeeeaaally excited.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2013, 5:06 am 

Finally finished "For Whom the Bell Tolls". I have neglected Hemingway for too long. I used to find his athletic prose child-like and inferior, but over the past year or so I have steadily grown to adore such concise and efficient prose to the extent that I now hate all those ponsy Victorian authors I was forced to read as a kid even more.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2013, 5:10 am 

I'm reading Neal Ashers cyberpunk polity series. Zero character development, but consistently creative set pieces and support characters. Plus action, I love action and so does this author.

Darkchild

PostPosted: October 17th, 2013, 10:59 am 

Darkchild130 wrote:
Coincidentally, I'm reading the Rogue Trooper kindle edition atm.

Darkchild

I never read anything else from 2000 AD tbh, my childhood was mostly my older brother's collection of Dredd and Terry Pratchett novels.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 7:34 am 

Old Man's War is pretty cool. The sci-fi bits can get really crazy, but that just further drives the point that what we meet out there and what we have to do fight them is inherently fucking crazy.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 10:12 am 

BobSagat wrote:
Old Man's War is pretty cool. The sci-fi bits can get really crazy, but that just further drives the point that what we meet out there and what we have to do fight them is inherently fucking crazy.

Damn. I just read a brief overview of this story and it is frighteningly similar to an idea for a sci-fi story I have been working on for a while. Maybe I will read this... maybe I won't.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 12:16 pm 

I've read the whole old man's war story arc, ghost brigade is by far the best one IMO.

John Scalzi is a bit hit and miss though, red shirts is ok but his latest one sucked (I think it's called the human division)

Darkchild

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 4:49 pm 

Finished Ghost Brigades. These books are wonderfully terse when they need to be. Think I liked Old Man's War better though. I just really enjoyed those bits of crazy sci-fi shit. I really like this universe, but apparently the other books start to suck? Should I bother getting to Last Colony? The teaser I read for it seems pretty boring.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 4:57 pm 

I liked ghost brigades best because of how the brain pal stands in for a personality as the newborn clone grows consciousness.

Last colony is ok, Zoe's tale sucks, human division really sucks.

Darkchild

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 5:06 am 

Alfred Duggan, "Three's Company".

It's the story of Lepidus, the third and forgotten member of the Triumverate.
(The other two being Octavian - later the Emperor Augustus - and Mark Antony).
Duggan packs the decline and fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire into 250 pages without ever losing sight of his protagonist.
As often, it's the detail that shocks; the book begins with the 14-year old Lepidus at the funeral of the Dictator Sulla, wondering if enough of his father's clients are around to start a riot.
After that you've got wars, purges, gangsters, exile and more deaths than you can count.
The writing is tremendously literate, the psychological insight acute and the history almost impeccable.
It makes G.R.R. Martin look like a child.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 4:07 am 

Connie Fletcher, "What Cops Know"

Essentially a collection of semi-anonymous interviews with Chicago PD officers.
The format is neat: one chapter per crime (Narcotics, Homicide), consisting of verbatim cop quotes.
The quotes can be as short as a sentence or as long as a couple of pages. Some funny, some thrilling, some horrible.
It only covers Chicago and as it was published in 1991 it's a little out of date...
...but mostly that doesn't matter because it's really a book about criminal psychology:
Who they are, what they do, why they do it and how you catch them.
It's a nice counter-point to the rubbish you see on TV.
Be warned though, reading the sections on serial murder, sex crimes and child abuse is unrelentingly grim.
Highly recommended.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2014, 4:13 am 

Finished reading Going Postal by Mark Ames (might have been on DudeGlove's recommendation?)

It's a very well thought out book about the office place and school shootings in America and the causes (spoiler alert: it's Reagan). But goes wider to criticize a large facet of American middle class culture at large, including some very illuminating similarities between the middle class in post Reaganomics America and the slaves in pre civil war America. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2014, 4:29 am 

Skoosc wrote:
Finished reading Going Postal by Mark Ames (might have been on DudeGlove's recommendation?)

It's a very well thought out book about the office place and school shootings in America and the causes (spoiler alert: it's Reagan). But goes wider to criticize a large facet of American middle class culture at large, including some very illuminating similarities between the middle class in post Reaganomics America and the slaves in pre civil war America. Highly recommended.

I haven't read Going Postal, but it's highly likely I might have brought it up at some point considering how much I've moaned out the ass about the Exile over the years. Ames frequently brings him up in his writing and absolutely hates Reagan for numerous reasons, such as his undoing of all the work of the Church Committee post Watergate that resulted in the ballooned security state we now live under. Or on. Or in.

I still think one of the best things Ames has ever written is "The Life And Murder of Anna Loginova", which is a longform piece about the true story of a Russian supermodel who defied the (un)natural order of things in Putin's Russia and met her end as a result. It's utterly heartbreaking and I can't recommend it highly enough if you have an hour to kill and a dollar to blow.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Murder-A ... B00CL19DOA

PostPosted: May 31st, 2014, 3:04 pm 

After blazing through the entirety of the Vampire: The Masquerade clan novel anthology thing somehow, I'm now reading Masters of Doom.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 2:21 am 

And that barely took a day to read. Couldn't help feeling that I wanted more from the author. Even though Romero and Carmack are the stars, I couldn't shake the feeling that all the other individuals were under-written and end up coming off as caricatures rather than human beings. It would have also have been neat if there was more of a thorough insight into Carmack's approach into how he goes about solving problems or Romero's design "philosophy", but both are treated as predetermined truths; Carmack is reduced to a robot while the other John comes off as kind of a douche in the reader's eyes. I basically want the entire book to have someone like Robert Yang chiming in about E1M1.

That said it's fun to read and gives a fairly decent rundown of how Wolfenstein 3-D, Doom, Quake and Daikatana (ha!) came to be, and I'm envious of all you stupid nerds who were active in those heady days, I get why people think Carmack is Jesus now, and I find it kind of funny that the shareware business model has kind of almost come full circle with crowdfunding/humble bundle. Also I don't ever want to make a fucking game.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2014, 4:13 am 

I want to read this based on title alone

The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next