It is currently October 18th, 2017, 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Steam Sale Advice
PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 9:18 am 

This is the thread where we ask each other (or rather I ask all of you) whether or not some game on steam is worth buying in whatever the current sale happens to be.

So today's midweek madness thing - Thief: Deadly Shadows for five bones. Worth it? I've heard a lot of good things about the Thief series, but am wondering if this is the Blood Money of the lot of them.

Post subject: Re: Steam Sale Advice
PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 1:15 pm 

No, it's sort of the Invisible War of the lot of them. Not quite that bad but still.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 1:42 pm 

I was much too young to play the first 2 Thieves, and started with Deadly Shadows.
It has one quite scary level that I found disturbing to play. Surprise! Survival horror in a stealth game!

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 1:57 pm 

bhlaab wrote:
No, it's sort of the Invisible War of the lot of them. Not quite that bad but still.

This is both perfectly accurate and also extremely misleading. It's accurate because it's the invisible war engine, which seriously fucks up the whole thief experience since it can only support relatively small maps, so the previous games' sprawling dungeons and palaces are chopped up into discrete pieces. This is especially obnoxious with the city, since it's supposed to feel like this sprawling hub but they actually had to break it up into 5 levels. There are also straight up broken things: the third person view lets you cheat a little by looking around corners without leaning, the wall hug makes you literally undetectable, and the AI is pretty dumb.

I also am not a huge fan of the game's story; normally this isn't a big deal but Thief is one of maybe three games ever that I looked forward to the cutscenes so the fact that the Keeper/Gamaal story isn't as compelling as the Woodsie Man or the Mechanists really lets me down.

Still, calling it "the invisible war of the lot" is misleading anyway, since it's cool even as a thief game. The Museum robbery is pleasantly reminiscent of the Metal Age's Bank level, the level design is as open ended and interesting as it can be given the engine limitations, and the Shalebridge Cradle was genuinely scary the first time I played it. Garrett is still a badass, ghosting the whole game is still challenging in a rewarding way, and while it's a huge letdown after the magnificent The Metal Age, it's still the third best stealth game ever made so I'd definitely buy it. It's pretty old so it might be tough to get running, but there is really helpful thief community at the ttlg forums.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 2:00 pm 

If you are willing to look past genuinely ugly graphics, absolutely get Thief 2: The Metal Age by the way. You might want to get Thief: Gold as well since it's really really good but there are a couple of levels early on that suffer because they were figuring out what a thief game was supposed to be like so I can understand passing on that. Your life is incomplete if you haven't played The Metal Age though.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 12:27 pm 

OH GOD SUMMER SALE TIME

Oblivion GOTY edition for, like, 7 bucks.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 12:32 pm 

Full listing n'shit here

http://www.steamgamesales.com/stores.php

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 12:36 pm 

I am so all over the nancy drew collection

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 2:00 pm 

dudeglove wrote:
I am so all over the nancy drew collection

I regret buying it at full price now. :custer:

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 3:28 pm 

Witcher 2.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 11:07 pm 

Yeah I was pretty sorely tempted when it came out but I don't think I can resist now, I don't see how it's going to be this price again for a good long while.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 11:16 pm 

Have any of you played the Bit.Trip runner games?

PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 1:04 am 

dudeglove wrote:
Have any of you played the Bit.Trip runner games?

Yes they're good if you want your eyes to try to escape from your skull.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011, 2:09 am 

Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics are all going for 10 bucks

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2008/ ... 234__103_1

Admittedly probably no one here doesn't have a copy already, nor would they want Tactics, but still.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011, 4:06 pm 

Hey Tactics is alright--good multi game if you establish house rules forbidding a wide swath of the most unbalanced weapons and powerups, and the singleplayer did exactly what it said on the tin. Tactical combat in Fallout. That's it. Granted that's a niche audience, but it did what it did well.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011, 4:35 pm 

didnt most of the people online in tactics just just load themselves on every drug possible so that they could one-shot everyone? where like 5 people would pour their resources to level up a single character and keep him/her alive so that they could get them power armor and then they would try and go on a rampage? which also meant that if you were to run up and stab said drugged up super soldier with some psycho that they would overdose and die as well

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 1:28 pm 

Torchlight is go.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 12:50 am 

pariah dog wrote:
didnt most of the people online in tactics just just load themselves on every drug possible so that they could one-shot everyone? where like 5 people would pour their resources to level up a single character and keep him/her alive so that they could get them power armor and then they would try and go on a rampage? which also meant that if you were to run up and stab said drugged up super soldier with some psycho that they would overdose and die as well

oh man never thought to do that. Not that you really could when they were juiced to the nines and had the gauss gatling laser or w/e

but yeah that's why it was a good game for multi, but only with friends and a proscribed point value range for character builds and many, many offlimit equipment choices. psycho, superstims, most of the higher end one-hit-kill weapons were out.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 1:24 am 

kane and lynch: $5
kane and lynch 2: $5
makes you think...

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 3:31 am 

pariah dog wrote:
kane and lynch: $5
kane and lynch 2: $5
makes you think...

about how you just bought kane and lynch 2, and how weird is that? :custer:

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 6:02 am 

ahahaha i traded a tf2 item for it, i dont even have $5 right now

e: im cracking up, i looked at my recent history and this is the best part
thanks steam, for the complimentary steam

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 12:42 pm 

now im sad that i didnt wait for today to get alpha protocol instead. fuck this miserable life

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 5:20 pm 

gauss wrote:
Hey Tactics is alright--good multi game if you establish house rules forbidding a wide swath of the most unbalanced weapons and powerups, and the singleplayer did exactly what it said on the tin. Tactical combat in Fallout. That's it. Granted that's a niche audience, but it did what it did well.

Yeah, me and my friends used to play this a lot back in the day. Great fun, as long as house rules were enforced. We ended up with everyone running around wearing leather armor, jackhammers and like 150% in sneak.

The single player could've been more balanced, too. The most effective tactic was often just to move everyone up and shoot everything to shit. Still, great fun.

"Super mutant was torn in half like a phonebook"

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 10:26 pm 

I should pick up Tactics again since I burned out right around the time I started getting power armour. I don't know about anyone else, but I never bothered with the non-human party members, and I made sure to enable the bonus mission.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2011, 12:44 am 

just make sure to pick up a copy of... Garshasp: The Monster Slayer...? I mean sorry it looks like a perfectly acceptable little God of War clone or whatever but that is the worst game title in recent memory

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next