It is currently September 20th, 2017, 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2478 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 100  Next
 Post subject: quick hits - current game you are playing and thoughts on it
PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 1:26 am 

post whatcha playing and how you feel about it now. Update same game later or say why you dropped it!

Catherine: as mentioned in the virtual girlfriend thread. Was never into the Persona games, but after seeing more of the game in action I think I am into it. Japanese developers can be stultifyingly conservative with design paradigms, yet a lot of the reptile brain arcade mechanics (collecting coins, bonuses, etc) combined with layers of social interaction/cellphone game stuff make this game a lot more interesting than I expected. As I'm finding in my own work, pride goes before the fall... rather, we should perhaps not be so quick to dismiss old traditions, are there ways to recontextualize them?
I might even (gasp) try a Persona game.

Atom Zombie Smasher: PDog pointed this one out. Gem of a little game, artfully paired with surf rock. Zombies kind of irrelevant at this point, thankfully they could be swapped out thematically and still have a fun little strategy game left to play.
Short round lengths make this an agreeably "casual" game should you desire. Again, thoughts of how old is new again.

Alan Wake: missed this one when it dropped. Environments are top notch, characters aren't looking so hot. Only about a half hour in. Is this the same Remedy of Max Payne? They always had a cinematic itch but I'm afraid they might have taken it too far with this one. Will persevere. Had intended to play this alongside Deadly Premonition, its weird Japanese half-cousin, but someone stole that package before I got it. Hooray city.

Quake: continuing master study. Game feels really fresh right now, compared to the endless linear slogs of today's shooters.

Duke Nukem Forever: the game that started making me play Quake again. This is the only good thing I can say about it.

Mass Effect 2: still haven't finished this... I dragged my feet so long on the first game that I beat it just before ME2 dropped, which gave me some really enjoyable continuity. Kind of hoping to do that again this year for ME3.

Witcher 2: started, but since it gives me an option to import a Witcher 1 character (a game I never finished), I got antsy and stopped. Am I really missing that much by not playing the first game?

Post subject: Re: quick hits - current game you are playing and thoughts o
PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 2:46 am 

Torchlight: If you've ever played Diablo, go back to playing Diablo. Torchlight is fun, but the AI is dreadful. If you go summoner, enemies will just go straight for you while your minions get stuck behind a ledge. In fact, enemies ALWAYS go straight for you regardless of class. Ridiculously unbalanced by the end of the game, whether or not you outrank enemies by about 15 levels. Class creation is lackluster and nowhere near the same complexity as Diablo II (WHICH IS ELEVEN YEARS OLD AND SOME OF THE PEOPLE AT RUNIC GAMES WORKED ON DIABLO IN THE FIRST PLACE). No multiplayer either, which makes no goddamn sense. It's also extremely glitchy in places, and the keymapping is a bit shit. The mousewheel should be used for cycling between skills, not zooming in and out.

That said, it's vibrant colorful and accessible, and I'm positive that Torchlight 2 will address every one of those issues.

SSFIV: Arcade Edition: I seem to have bought this out of some misplaced guilt/brand loyalty. Barely played it, but the balance changes are extremely welcome, and you can still fight vanilla SSFIV folk online.

TF2: hats hats hats hats hats hats hats. Also pulling a P-dog and playing Demoknight. Since it's gone F2P, I can actually kill people nowadays. Give it a couple of months and the level of play will get better. Badwater 4 Life.

Aside from that, never not playing Blood Money.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 3:16 am 

I redownloaded TF2 in this brave new F2P world and yeah--I was a pretty competent player but people made it sound like it was open season on noobs. Also hats.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 6:05 am 

gauss wrote:
Atom Zombie Smasher: PDog pointed this one out. Gem of a little game, artfully paired with surf rock. Zombies kind of irrelevant at this point, thankfully they could be swapped out thematically and still have a fun little strategy game left to play.
Short round lengths make this an agreeably "casual" game should you desire. Again, thoughts of how old is new again.

I tried the demo during the steam summer event to get the achievement, and I loved the dry humor and basic yet very testing at times gameplay. The surf music is just an awesome addition to it, which more games need. (#1 reason why bfbc2 isn't as fun as bfbc1 is the vehicles don't have "Surf Radio" for you to play obnoxiously loud as you drove straight into their base)

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts: I've been playing recently for the first time, and I've gotten the hang of the wehrmacht and I'm getting a real strategy down with them and it seems pretty fun. But since I've never really played rts games, it's still all new to me and I feel like those guys who launch CS:S as their first fps game who end up looking straight down, running into the wall, and shooting the ground while their team yells for them to uninstall.

GRID: owns so hard, I just wish I knew it did earlier. I'm somewhat over half way through the game and I'm loving it a lot. Arcade style handling, awesome crash physics, able to turn back time a few times depending on your difficulty, AND you get to choose what audio cues your team will use for you. So basically, it's like Prince of Persia + early Need for Speed games, except where, y'know, you can choose to have everyone call you "Stud" or "Dumptruck".

Fallout: New Vegas: I have been replaying this since I never did the DLC and goddamn, the new DLC is awesome. The humor in Old World Blues is very well done, but it has some bullet sponge type enemies. It's a strange relief in a way since it means enemies can actually give you a challenge at higher levels which the rest of the game doesn't really offer. Only regret with the new DLC is that when I found my brain and spoke to it, I called him a dick and then started to flirt with him which made him lecture me about how morally wrong it is to try and flirt with your own brain. yeah, thanks for telling me how to live my life, DAD.

Team Fortress 2: I've been getting into with friends and goddammit I'm back at playing this Korean MMO wannabe. I want to pretend I'm better than getting involved in all this fucking hat hell but I'm not. I'm demoknighting around in a pink pimphat and making f2p players ask how I charge at them so fast, which isn't a surprise since they're also asking how to ubercharge or go invisible.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl: Literally downloading a 2.35gb mod for this again to beat this for the 21st time. why is this the best game ever... why...

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 9:32 am 

I don't play much these days, so this is over the last month or so:

Portal 2: Playing through the co-op now. It is really awesome to be married to someone who is good at Portal. Some really brilliant moments in the co-op. SP was okay I guess? A bit forced and I thought the story, while well written for a game, had some issues.

X-Com: Yes... still playing X-Com. Yes, it's still awesome.

Kill Zone 2 (AKA Kay-Zon-Zon): Killing virtually everyone with the knife is a blast. A real challenge in places, where you often have to run away from flying enemies. I have not even bothered to try out the new guns as they are doled out. It is great/boring to get under a spawn ramp and stab a dozen guys as they try to enter the level. Lost motivation on the mech level (mech is weaker than a human, since it can't regen health. Has no knife). Did I mention the shooting in this game is terrible?

Vanquish: Man, don't know what to say about this game. It is kind of like a Resident Evil 4 boss attack mode, but with controls that make no fucking sense at all. You have a cover button, dodge button and a rocket boost button (other dodge button), but if you hold the aim button while rocket boosting it goes into bullet time, and you are sliding around in lazy circles on your knees while shooting the boss' glowy spots, but you can't see where you're going since you have to be moving perpendicular to the enemies bullets to avoid the insta-kill attacks, but if you rocket boost too much, then you will run out of boost, which makes you move slower... taking a break from this one too.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 10:09 am 

gauss wrote:
Witcher 2: started, but since it gives me an option to import a Witcher 1 character (a game I never finished), I got antsy and stopped. Am I really missing that much by not playing the first game?

Not really. There was a shitload of Choice/Consequence in the first game which showed up in the second game, but if you just play the second game they make the witcher 1 choices for you and you will never even notice. And the Witcher 2 is probably my GOTY2011.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 9:51 pm 

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Generally speaking, what I need is to not get shot by all these fucking bandits. Where do they even keep coming from? Are they on infinite respawn?

MGS3 Just recently played through 1 and 2, and my marathon stalled just after beating The Fear. Probably because I'm actually spending all my time in Game Maker now. I feel like the bosses in the first game had this sort of quasi-mystical-yet-still-believable vibe that was awesome and none of the other games have even tried to match. The only one that was actually definitely supernatural in any way was Psycho Mantis, which was a genuinely creepy WTF moment. Also it was way easier and preachier than I remembered. I thought MGS2 might make some sense and be less terrible with the context afforded by 3 and 4, but such was not the case. Also way more difficult than the others. It's the best example of mgs "combat as punishment for failure"; it takes a long time and is basically unwinnable. I still ended up just jumping over the nearest ledge as a time saver. My only complaint about MGS3 is that the bosses are way too silly for the atmosphere and tone of the rest of the game. Silly moments are one thing, but backflipping bee tommygun guy just kills it for me. And why do they explode?

Iconoclasts Konjak needs to finish this. It's amazing. The timing of the wrench swing is really unforgiving, and I wish there were a safe area to practice in the beginning where failure doesn't make you run through two screens of platforming.

Blazblue is absolutely my favorite fighting game ever. The controls are intuitive enough that the barrier to entry is low, but the game is still complex enough that it doesn't feel button mashy. It feels like I'm fighting my opponent instead of the bullshit controls.

Other than that I'm just playing my favorite 16bit platformers in short bursts for inspiration. Getting jumping to feel right is way more in depth than I thought it would be.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 11:11 pm 

Outlander wrote:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Generally speaking, what I need is to not get shot by all these fucking bandits. Where do they even keep coming from? Are they on infinite respawn?

yes you cant wipe the zone out completely, groups of people will always come to the zone

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 12:59 am 

Yeah, but when you clear out a house, and then you check the perimeter and sit down to check your guns, patch your wounds, etc. and a dude suddenly appears in front of you with a shotgun it's kind of frustrating.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 1:23 am 

TF2: thinking a lot about asymmetrical gameplay. i play spy. everyone else plays 'run around and shoot things'. i play 'psychological warfare and scratching really deep back itches'. especially given the saharan spy and enforcer, you can change the spy's playstyle in drastically different ways. it's interesting examining the ramifications of that. also exploiting things inherent to the technological side, like hitboxes being slightly behind the avatars.

i'm doing other things but it is late and i suddenly got tired of typing

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 1:47 am 

Outlander wrote:
Yeah, but when you clear out a house, and then you check the perimeter and sit down to check your guns, patch your wounds, etc. and a dude suddenly appears in front of you with a shotgun it's kind of frustrating.

Stalkers travel through level transitions just like you do (not just spawn, but they actually travel and have travel time), so I'd advice you to not get comfortable at spots where levels can transition because they'll suddenly appear there just like you do when you change levels. Though almost all areas have it set up so that they have to come in from a little behind the area and walk there to avoid enemies popping right in. Admittedly, Clear Sky has this a lot worse too but then again... Clear Sky...

PostPosted: August 1st, 2011, 7:19 pm 

All Points Bulletin: Re-released by Gamers First as F2P, it is the only MMO ever that i've actually enjoyed. The character customisation is brilliant and the (PVP-only) missions are a blast. There are still some balance issues, a couple of premium weapons are a bit overpowered, but the gameplay is somewhat varied and G1 has improved on the matchmaking quite a bit since the re-release. The game is easily accessible; there are no absolutely gigantic gaps between new and old players, barring skill; the starting weapons are balanced toward the others. Guns have a bunch of different stats and are usually only good at one range; it is equally hopeless to engage a sniper at long range with an SMG as vice versa, special weapons like LMGs and grenade launchers exist but are limited in utility. The visual style is great. I'm addicted.

Kerbal Space Program: An indie title in development by SQUAD which consists of building your own rockets and using them to send little green men to their deaths. Great fun! See if you can pull off sending a craft into a stable orbit around the planet.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2011, 7:32 pm 

Lord of the Rings Online: My computer had a corrupt RAM chip for a while so I was forced onto a friend's laptop which could play this and not much else. They've gone to a lot of effort to create Middle Earth and it shows really well. Sadly it's all been spread over a rather uninspired WoW clone. There are some differences but the basic mechanics are all the same. The class roles are a little more varied with each class being able to fulfill multiple roles in a raid situation which is nice. Group maneuvres are another interesting mechanic. And the deed system adds some variety to what would otherwise be strictly xp and gear grinding. But the same old MMO combat with grinding is still here in force.

Realm of the Mad God: (link) A simple, fast paced, flash based shooty MMO. I've been playing this when I've got a moment to spare for a quick bit of gaming. This is more in line with where I think MMO's should be going. Combat is very fast paced and skill-based. Death is permanent. And you reach the level cap quite quickly (less than an hour or 2). The only problem with the simplicity of the game is that you quickly reach the end of what you can explore and enjoy. Some more in depth features would really make this worthwhile.

Beat Hazard Ultra: Picked this up in the Steam sale, a very fun and challenging little shooter to play while listening to music. Vanilla version is a little limited compared to the Ultra version.

Hitman: Blood Money: Also picked this up in the steam sale. First level took less than 2 minutes to switch from sneaking and silent killing assassin to shotgun to the face for everyone lunatic. Going to have to hone my skills a bit on this one.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2011, 11:33 pm 

Dawn of War 2 Retribution: I play this with a couple of friends. 2v2 or 3v3 games. And I roleplay as my Chaos Lord. A slower-paced RTT/RTS than SC2, still with lots of different tactical descisions, and a more relaxed tone. Also sweet voice acting. Using the Chaos final special ability, the one that tears a rift through reality, sucks in infantry units with giant chains and hooks is great fun. I laugh like a maniac every time.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 on PS3: This I do to relax, for a couple of minutes or so, with a bunch of friends as well. We act all tacticool and shit, giving each other directions and using words like "Delta" and "Foxtrot". The T88 LMG is the best sniper rifle.

Project Reality: I play whenever the 128-slot server is up and everyone is forced to use Mumble positional audio. Great fun when the team cooperates and the commander is competent.

Neverwinter Nights 2: starting co-op campaign with a friend. We wanted to continue co-op after we played BG and BG2 that way. Needless to say, those games aren't made for co-op. It gets very retarded very fast. We mostly comment on NPC dialogue over Skype and laugh at it.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 2:52 am 

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy: It feels like a budget title, but that has its own special appeal in coop games with friends. When you're playing with 4 others, and 2 of them are stuck in an elevator (one in the ceiling, one in the doors), and the third person tries to dislodge them with a grenade which end up only killing himself and knocking over a turret that freaks out and fires at everyone point blank, and you say "your ragdoll died with your hands over your face!" and he says "good! Because that's what I'm doing right now in real life at this whole thing" when you're about an hour into the game, you know there's going to be the best experiences.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2011, 6:55 am 

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines: Picked it up in the sale. Pleasantly surprised by this little number. Great soundtrack to it. And it's a source engine game too, of all things.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2011, 10:59 am 

have you got the Wesp fanpatch? It makes the game infinitely better and more stable. Troika games have a history of good fanpatches to go with their incredibly buggy releases

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php

Without this patch there is at least one possibly gamebreaking bug, and a shitload of other quest breakers. With this patch the only bugs are mainly nuisance ones.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 6:57 pm 

Sword & Sworcery: This game is really amazing on every level. It really brought back a sense of "anything can happen" that I often felt in older games. It's a bit high concept, but that is pretty refreshing to see in a video game.

VVVVVV: A technical platformer, I beat this today. Very solid design, but rather too hard in many places. Very charming.

Dead Cyborg: Painfully clunky, and I had to look up a couple of obtuse puzzles. Most of the game is very well designed, with a very unique "90's pre-rendered" art style.

The Stanley Parable: Hammers away at a few "art" themes that have been in other games regarding narrative. Interesting as a kind of overview, and has a few cool tricks.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 8:30 pm 

Assassin's Creed 2: Replaying this one. I know the gameplay has a lot of issues, not the least of which is wanting to be both a somewhat serious stealth game and a fun action game where you can be a huge badass. It would probably be a lot better if you had a lot less health (even buying almost no armour there's still the little reserve health dot that makes it impossible to die if you're passive, ugh), and if defending actually required you to do something. All that said the parkour is pretty good and I absolutely love the setting and atmosphere and history. And the stealth is pretty nice if I can pretend like I can't just kill everyone.
Oh and ancient alien superweapon conspiracies spanning all of human society, :custer:

Deus Ex: Played most of the way through a few years ago as something between stealth and rambo. As in, mostly avoiding direct confrontations, but making a big show of blowing everything up. Early on this playthrough and I haven't really decided if I'll be doing that again or trying a different approach.

Thief 2: I have only played the first two stages, and I am pretty sure I suck, but god damn this game is amazing, as I am sure everyone here already knows. I especially like how at times I've had had to listen to the guards footsteps to judge where they'd be and when.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent: :mameshiba:

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 1:08 am 

Electric_Pope wrote:
Assassin's Creed 2: Replaying this one. I know the gameplay has a lot of issues, not the least of which is wanting to be both a somewhat serious stealth game and a fun action game where you can be a huge badass. It would probably be a lot better if you had a lot less health (even buying almost no armour there's still the little reserve health dot that makes it impossible to die if you're passive, ugh), and if defending actually required you to do something. All that said the parkour is pretty good and I absolutely love the setting and atmosphere and history. And the stealth is pretty nice if I can pretend like I can't just kill everyone.
Oh and ancient alien superweapon conspiracies spanning all of human society, :custer:

Please tell me you've switched the audio to Italian.

Liesmith wrote:
have you got the Wesp fanpatch? Without this patch there is at least one possibly gamebreaking bug, and a shitload of other quest breakers. With this patch the only bugs are mainly nuisance ones.

Even though I have the Steam version?

Last edited by dudeglove on August 11th, 2011, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 1:27 am 

dudeglove wrote:
Please tell me you've switched the audio to Italian.

I have now. And just in time for the last mission of the game!

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 1:36 am 

Electric_Pope wrote:
I have now. And just in time for the last mission of the game!

I'm afraid that means you've missed out on learning how to say "Hey asshole! Get off the roof right now!"

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 2:22 am 

dudeglove wrote:
Even though I have the Steam version?

Yeah the steam version only includes the basic patch. Definitely get wesp's unofficial patch.

it comes in two flavors: bugfixes and the Plus Patch. The plus version restores some lost and/or broken content, plus moves some extremely minor shit around because wesp is constantly tweaking that shit like some kind of autist. I'd install the plus patch because it's not shitty and doesn't add in any fan missions or that sort of thing. s'cool

If you don't install at least the basic bugfix thing you will legit regret it for the rest of your days though Vampire is a troika game AKA filled with hilarious and frustrating bugs

also save Malkavian for a second run through. and definitely do a second run through as malkavian it's awesome and very different

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 3:35 am 

Terraria: nay great shakes is it? Also, why isn't Minecraft on Steam? Well I suppose there's no need for Notch to rob himself of his own profit margin when he's got it working out juuuust fine direct from his own website. The life of kings.
Anyway so yes, Terraria. Some really decent if marginal improvements to Minecraft's formula, but for me the perspective really kills the wonder and the sense of exploration when I can see places my character can't. I'll continue to give it a chance, but really I'm just holding out for the big Adventure update (in the next hundred years or so) for Minecraft to dip back in.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 2:47 pm 

terraria is way better coop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2478 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 100  Next