It is currently August 20th, 2017, 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 24 hour RPG creation thread
PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 5:15 pm 

Attachment:
1314668195609.jpg
1314668195609.jpg [ 105.01 KiB | Viewed 6361 times ]

[Edit:] Roll dice here, if you're a diceless pauper. Thanks, Ninjas!
This means creating an entirely new game from scratch, not just a setting with some modifications to D20 or GURPS or whatever.

I rolled Treachery, Terror, and Rockets, and came up with a sort of Buck Rogers Meets Lovecraft game I like to call "AWAKE". I'll link the PDF when I'm done (poorly) formatting it. Hastily written and probably incoherent Unfinished Idea.txt, since that's what I actually did during the 24hours, to follow.

Code:
Two hours to go, I think? So far I've got ranked dice (where 1 is d4 and 6 is d20) and three stats: Sanity, Stamina, and Skill. Sleep Deprivation is tracked with ranks, too, but those are dynamic (and bad for you). You roll d100 for Sanity and Stamina at the start of the game and get back a die roll of whatever your rank is in those stats when you sleep.

Sleeping confers another WHISPeR, secret commands that no-one must know of. Not sleeping for a given day raises your Sleep Dep rank by one. You roll against Sleep Dep every day and lose that much Sanity and Stamina regardless of whether you sleep, so you can quickly get to the point where sleep isn't restful but you need to do it anyway just to keep from collapsing.

There are several components of the ship (Navigation, Life Support, ect.), each with an integrity determined by a d100 at the start of the game. If any component reaches 0 it is broken beyond repair, likely dooming the ship. Each component also has a Damage rank, which is rolled against to see how much damage it takes every day. Make a Skill roll to either increase integrity (by whatever you roll) or reduce the Damage (roll higher, like an opposed skill check where the part's Damage rank is the other skill).

WhISPERS are written on cards by the GM and passed out every time a player sleeps. Perhaps only if the player fails a Sanity roll. Things like "Sabotage the Engines" or "Protect the eggs". GM should raise the stakes and write these to spec in order to build tension. Resisting a WHIsPER takes a Sanity roll, and failing means taking Sleep Dep of SAN damage AND carrying out the order. At least one action per day should be taken in pursuit of a WHISpER.

To help induce paranoia, the players can't see the current status of any ship component without running a diagnostic on the computer. Since this is a 1950's computer with punch cards, this takes several hours, possibly even half a day. They must keep track of them separately from the GM, and running a new diagnostic is the only way to find out if another player has been sabotaging the ship.

Only things I can't figure out:

Time needs to be a factor to keep tensions high, but how do I determine how long things take? Considering making every Action take 4 hours, with Diagnostics and Sleep taking two Actions each. I'm worried keeping track of every hour is too much counting, and blocking things out is too simple and makes roleplaying harder.

What's the best way to let players keep actions secret from each other? Passing notes seems like it might be too obvious/take too long, but I can't think of anything else.

I'll happily roll again if anyone here wants to join me for another round. Flex those game-design... muscles... In fact, I'm declaring this mandatory for anyone who can't prove they are actually working on a game right now. You bunch of posers.

Last edited by Outlander on August 31st, 2011, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 24 hour RPG creation thread
PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 5:32 pm 

got Animals, Emperor, Krakens

this may be useful to people who don't want to leave their desk to dig up real dice:

http://www.roll-dice-online.com/

I am thinking some kind of Pokemon style game, where you control animals and mystical beasts?

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 6:33 pm 

Fists, inventors and bounty hunters.

There are no women in the future, but there are inventors who can make sex droids or something, and you're a former-pugilist turned bounty hunter (who balks at the mere idea of picking up a gun) out to find said scientists and/or fembots. Fortunately, there are no guns in the future. So it's Zeno Clash,

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 7:06 pm 

PDF is finished.

Rerollan...

Fists, Reincarnation, Fortress. First thought is some kind of eternal deathmatch, but that's boring. Immortal berserkers assaulting a fortress unarmed? I got nothing.

Ninjas wrote:
I am thinking some kind of Pokemon style game, where you control animals and mystical beasts?

I like it. Are Krakens and Animals going to be separate things, though?

dudeglove wrote:
Fists, inventors and bounty hunters.

There are no women in the future, but there are inventors who can make sex droids or something, and you're a former-pugilist turned bounty hunter (who balks at the mere idea of picking up a gun) out to find said scientists and/or fembots. Fortunately, there are no guns in the future. So it's Zeno Clash,

Where did the women go?

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 7:53 pm 

I got Fast Food, Businesses, and Voodoo. Surprisingly evocative set, what with Voodoo in there. Clearly some kind of game themed around rival fast food corporation and the dark arts used to maintain and push market dominance. Mild food poisoning, sir, or was that a stomach curse?

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 9:56 pm 

gauss wrote:
I got Fast Food, Businesses, and Voodoo. Surprisingly evocative set, what with Voodoo in there. Clearly some kind of game themed around rival fast food corporation and the dark arts used to maintain and push market dominance. Mild food poisoning, sir, or was that a stomach curse?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1536 ... -the-fries

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 10:09 pm 

See also: Ninjaburger.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 11:06 pm 

I got Cars, Treachery and Alternate Universe.

RPG takes place in a diesel meets magic-punk meets Mad Max universe where all cars are powered by a magi-tek engine and are the only way to live/travel/fight in this universe. You level your character by getting various modification for your car. Since it's post apocalyptic world NPCs and encounters are far between and PCs usually have the best equipment. In order to reinforce backstabbing once any PC gets a certain (high) level and is the only player character alive, he wins the game (last man standing rule).

EDIT: Optionally there is a secret agenda card (it's a staple in these kind of games) where you win by e.g killing 4 NPC and 3 PC, winning 7 unsanctioned races, doing 12 quests,etc.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 11:42 pm 

alternative universe, terror, and parasites

The Half-Life series begins in the early 21st century, at the fictional Black Mesa Research Facility in New Mexico. Gordon Freeman, a recently employed theoretical physicist, is involved in an experiment analyzing an unknown crystalline artifact; however, when the anti-mass spectrometer beam contacts the crystal, it opens a dimensional rift between Black Mesa and another world called Xen (alternative universe), causing monsters (parasites) to swarm Black Mesa and kill many of the facility's personnel (terror). Attempts by the Black Mesa personnel to close the rift are unsuccessful, leading to a Marine Recon unit being sent in to silence the facility, including any survivors from the science team. Freeman fights through the facility to meet with several other scientists, who decide to travel to the alien dimension to stop the aliens. On Xen, Freeman eliminates the alien "leader" and is confronted by the G-Man, who offers Freeman employment before putting him into stasis.

except with inventory management and levels

PostPosted: September 1st, 2011, 5:42 am 

Why are all parasites facehuggers? Why can't they be wasp that stab you with their eggs. That gives so many varieties of stabbing (stomach eggs, brain eggs, butt eggs, naughty eggs).

PostPosted: September 1st, 2011, 6:09 am 

-Y- wrote:
(...butt eggs, naughty eggs).

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Friendly
valve gave me an opening and my game is going to take advantage of this

PostPosted: September 1st, 2011, 11:58 am 

Ninjas wrote:
got Animals, Emperor, Krakens

this may be useful to people who don't want to leave their desk to dig up real dice:

http://www.roll-dice-online.com/

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm

Outlander wrote:
Where did the women go?

A fatal flaw in Chinese-style organized birth control/standardized test tube baby output has led to the degeneration of the X chromosone, leaving progressive generations of females to become more and more physically asexual. They have since lost the ability to become fertile. Or maybe I'm ripping this off from Children of Men. Anyway, the men have gotten all angry because women no longer have any sexual attraction to them, and now half the world's population is in search of... release.

This all made sense about ten minutes ago.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2011, 12:04 pm 

Okay, I can't take any more animal critters in my life, so I am going to drop my other two words and just go with Emperors.

This is a game about social networking by people with no skills of their own. You play a small time leader of some type of tribe. The type of tribe you pick determines the group members you can have, which are represented by CCG style cards. Tribe types can be hunter/gatherer, pastoral, sect, raider, business, entertainers, order, guild, union, etc. You get 13 members, and each member of your group has a special skill, and a few basic stats. You start out in an unexplored "new world" continent, and you take land, gain people and build shit.

Each member also has a recipe for a macro-group, special character, or structure they can form, but it takes other member types before you can consolidate that. For example, you can form a farming co-op by combining 3 farmers and a salesman, with the sum being greater than the parts, but more specialized. 3 aristocrats may be turned into a princess. 4 men at arms and a priest could be turned into a knight's order

There are various social circles that require more loyalty. By meeting needs or doing favors you are able to make members more loyal. Weakly loyal group members can be stolen by other players. You can steal enemy members by having stronger bonds -- this is done by having more of the same or sympathetic type characters in the same region, doing favors, or with certain special abilities.

that is what I have so far...

PostPosted: September 1st, 2011, 12:29 pm 

dudeglove wrote:
A fatal flaw in Chinese-style organized birth control/standardized test tube baby output has led to the degeneration of the X chromosone, leaving progressive generations of females to become more and more physically asexual. They have since lost the ability to become fertile. Or maybe I'm ripping this off from Children of Men. Anyway, the men have gotten all angry because women no longer have any sexual attraction to them, and now half the world's population is in search of... release.

This all made sense about ten minutes ago.

Makes sense. But how elaborate do we need to be. I don't have a test group to see if they like it.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2011, 1:21 pm 

-Y- wrote:
Makes sense. But how elaborate do we need to be. I don't have a test group to see if they like it.

Our main character is a (probably unsuccessful) boxer who was hit one too many times in the head. It's doubtful that he cares about the ins and outs of the scientific hoo-haa. He's just in it for the money... or maybe he's trying to get back at his duplicitous former promoter/coach. Or both.

As the player, it's down to you to decide whether or not he should punch that guy/animal/button in pursuit of your goal.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2011, 1:32 pm 

Rolling again...

Plants, Zombies, Demons.

eh... I'll leave that one up to PopCap.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2011, 10:02 pm 

Okay, my time's been up for a while and I've got nothing. I thought I had an idea but then it turned out to just be Don't Rest Your Head but somehow more pretentious and less good.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2011, 12:00 am 

Crustaceans, dungeon building, martial arts...

King Crustacean and his lobster ninjas battle the menacing Mucloc on the sea-floor. With their rewards of coral, they build a pyramid to their Anemone God. You play Sam the Crab, the ninjas' newest recruit, but will they accept you after the Crab Wars that devastated their noble race a millennia ago? Squad-based Action RPG.

INVENTORY: Because lobsters don't have pockets, they must balance items on their back. Larger items require more lobsters.

MAGIC: The power to summon fish?

PLOT-TWIST: Searching through ancient ruins, it's revealed that the Anemone God was originally the crabs', and it was prophecised that the God sent the Mucloc after King Crustacean out of anger (he's a lobster). Identity issues ensue, and after a night of heavy emotions between the lobsters and Sam, the ninjas get word that renegade crabs have taken hold inside the pyramid. They all pull together in a heart-warming moment.

ITEMS: The pyramid houses factories that build upgrades, ammunition (?), and supplies for the lobster team. The quality of the items depends on the quality of the materials, and better materials tend to require more lobsters to carry back to the pyramid. So if you want an Iron Claw, you need to spare a couple of lobsters from your squad to haul an anchor or whatever off to the pyramid, and then haul the claw back. The Mucloc can appear at any time, so there's some risk to sending off teammates. The whole concept is more than a little iffy.

DUNGEON BUILDING: Marketing gimmick; the pyramid is constructed in discrete stages. Kind of like towns in AC2, and that one town in that other AC2. What the hell else was I supposed to do with crustaceans, martial arts, and dungeon building (that DF hasn't done already)?

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2011, 8:54 pm 

awesome second roll: underwater, inventors, dungeon building

the game is about descending into the den of the madmen under water, underground.

http://hrd.apec.org/index.php/The_Ogall ... n_Resource

the Ogallala Aquifer is the US's largest aquifer, feeding some 30% of the nation's fresh water supplies for agriculture as well as drinking water. in the near future a rapid decrease of both quality and quantity of water drawn from the aquifer leads to a shocking discovery: the aquifer has been displaced by a sprawling underground complex, apparently generated with the help of trillions of terraforming nanites. rogue inventors, nanotech pioneers with great vision but rapacious needs for raw materials in their work, were banned from working in the united states ever again. but they didn't want to leave their home laboratories in nebraska. they simply went beneath it and continued work.

hand-pick your team of miners, divers, and g-men from a mountain of dossiers, and then go into the earth and stop the madmen. infiltrate their treacherous underground dungeon demesne--are they sex perverts? are they gods by their own hands?

(i wanted to go with "underwater" that didnt mean the ocean)

PostPosted: July 24th, 2014, 5:53 am 

Got Animals, Businesses, terror.This may be useful to people who don't want to get rid of roll real dice. http://freeonlinedice.com