It is currently December 16th, 2017, 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: please read my website
PostPosted: May 24th, 2012, 4:20 pm 

thanks guys. Now that the website is fully done I'm able to go over these art considerations full bore. Really good input-- i'll be posting what comes of it once it's done.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2012, 3:21 am 

http://www.stellarjockeys.com

still working on the art posts, but the site is now live with 2 finished posts to boot. Tomorrow/today I'll be posting two more, one on my process so far in developing the art style of the game (much of the same stuff as what i've been posting on here along with some new bits), the other on balancing design and art, and ruminating on some of the mistakes i've already made to date.

I'd be much obliged if you ladies and gents could pop over for a bit, and maybe even leave a comment or two and follow the twitter. I'm not as prolific as gauss, but give me time *shakes fist*

PostPosted: May 25th, 2012, 3:34 am 

There you go.

Lovely little site.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2012, 7:22 am 

I'm so hipster, I subscribed to your youtube channel before you even posted anything.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2012, 5:34 pm 

wake please illustrate a tarkovsky tarot deck thx

PostPosted: May 26th, 2012, 5:52 am 

don't tempt me with awesome ideas like that orikae-- I have bad enough commitment issues as it is; it's a miracle I stuck with this damn website/company/identity long enough to actually start doing something with them. If I start painting something like that I'll disappear into a hole for months and abandon everything else I'm supposedly working on :custer:

anyway next post is up, though it's the ruminating one so the less fun of the two. Turns out "ruminating" for me means taking hours upon hours to write what should be a relatively simple and concise post. This is why I need to keep to technical stuff-- much more straightforward writing and I don't get caught up nearly as much on things like tone. Also back-pats and butt-taps (the latter only for those who played sports in high school, as those who didn't tend to think it "weird" or something) for those who've already come to visit and comment. Actually getting traffic, small as it is, is starting to make all this actually feel real for once.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2012, 5:52 am 

orikae wrote:
oh gof please

Your recent Day Z article got a shout out from Patrick Klepek over at GB.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2012, 2:31 pm 

hooray!

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 3:42 am 

nice orikae

so guys, finished a full edit of the dev session recording a few days ago, and i haven't posted it because for one small but significant reason-- it was horribly dull. So I've discarded the 'two lead developers chatting informally about how dev is going' setup both because in shooting from the hip we weren't specific / informative enough about things, and because I've discovered that I need total control over content and tone, and that doesn't happen when it's two guys talking.

I've since gone back and am re-evaluating what exactly i'll be doing with the podcast / audio blogs, and while I've got a pretty good idea on most of it, there are some gaps content wise and I want to hear what people are interested in. What would you guys like to hear about / what do you think is missing in the current slew of games podcasts, or if you don't listen to any, why?

I've narrowed things down a lot, partly by thinking about what i'm interested in and also by listing to a crapton of games related podcasts and seeing what i dont' like.

Alec Holowka's Infinite Ammo podcast has some good moments in it and he interviews interesting people but he doesn't edit at all and his interviews are long as fuck. Seriously they're like 2 hours long on average. That and there's like a 50% chance on any of his shows that he goes all manic depressive on people and just makes the show about him, which i guess being the host he can do but it gets tiresome.

I enjoyed Irrational's inhouse podcast Irrational Behavior at first, but over time i've become less and less a fan of Ken Levine (for various reasons), and the interest on the podcasts only runs as far as who the guest is and whether Levine allows them to actually talk or not. That and their intro is seriously the worst.

Joe Martin's new podcast Unlimited Hyperbole is interesting, though only one episode has aired so far, and it's pretty hard to fuck up when you've got Dan Pinchbeck talking. I'm looking forward to seeing how his next couple of shows turn out.

Best in show, for the interview category and just in general is Robert Ashley's A Life Well Wasted. He edits well, has great interstitial music because it's his band's music, and does a good job of finding interesting people who aren't the obvious targets / talking heads. I guess lucky me since he only did 6 of them and the last one was done over 2 years ago. That's more what I'm going for though-- meticulously edited and more heavily manicured / produced work. But where I differ from him is that where he's very... easy about getting from point to point (I think on one of the podcasts he just has a 4 minute music interlude), I'm going for a very high density of content / information. Ashley's podcasts are almost more like hour-long jam sessions that happen to have interviews in them than straight up interview shows.

Other games podcasts to mention are the '4 bros in a room' style ones, like the Rock Paper Shoutcasts and Roguelike Radio. Giant Bomb does one but I consider them to be a little different because they're much more built as a generalist talk show / here in the news than the others I've looked at / mentioned which tend to go deeper on their analyses.

And outside of games I've been known to enjoy other podcasts / shows like This American Life, Uhh Yeah Dude, and Radiolab. Obviously I'm operating under limited means and as such can't really stand up to shows like that, but they're clear inspirations both stylistically and content wise.

I've got a friend doing music for me now, have some content recorded, and am trying to figure out where exactly I want to place my niche when it comes to these podcasts, which is why I'm asking you guys. I'm open to doing interviews, but unlike these other podcasts if I do them at all they'll be as additional content and not the meat of the show. A good portion of the show will always be about the specifics of game development, like all the legal shit you have to go through to start an LLC, or how my lead programmer continuously rages about how dynamic languages like Lua get completely misrepresented both at the university level and among developers because no one talks about their downsides. But I'm also open to other ideas as well, like editorializing (in a well thought / researched fashion only) on stuff going on right now-- think that mini essay i wrote about the 'hepler button' &etc-- or something not even games related at all.

Anyway, that's what's going through my head right now, and I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback at all from you guys. Cheers.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 4:54 am 

Sheesh I didn't know it was such an artform. I can't imagine myself listening to folk chatting over a radio bed for an hour or more. That's not to say there's anything wrong with doing that - but when you go into the actual time it takes to produce on your own, there's a likely chance you'll get burned out pretty soon, even if it's only on a monthly basis.

Seeing as I only listen to one (though I might start listening to RPS'), I'm more of a bros in the room 'cast kind of guy - but in their case they've been doing it for years, have developed sort of a persona, and can regularly rope in various guests from all walks of the industry who just don't give an eff and like to come in just to shoot the shit rather than provide anything highbrow. Recently unemployed ex-G4 Adam Sessler was on last month and was friggin' hilarious.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 5:16 am 

yea, the time involvement is a major consideration, which is part of the reason why I'm seriously limiting the length of anything I do produce-- we're talking 30 minutes max, most more like 10-15. It's also why I'm limiting the source of most of the content to just me talking; as i've discovered, a bunch of time in editing is making people sound less bad / really cutting to the core of what's been said. When other people are involved I have to do it the sneaky way, but when it's just me then i can just go back into my closet (best acoustics for recording come from standing a foot away from my suit jackets and dress shirts) and re-record. Much much faster, and also makes it easier to sate my hyper-particularity.

What I'm trying to do for a lot of it is to just rope in things i'm already reading about / working on, both because it's what i'm interested in and also to save time. For example, one part that I'm working on right now involves my latest post on the blog about putting in the shadows-- this idea that you've come up with something and it's clearly the best way to go and why is everyone else so dumb until you actually do it and then you realize you're an idiot. That was my experience with the shadows for our engine, where we learned the hard way why Skyrim 'tics' their shadows once every 10 seconds instead of having a continuously moving light source (when you do there's a horrible shearing effect because the algorithm sucks but it's the best the industry has thusfar figured out).

Jonathon Blow during one of his talks relates the exact same experience when he was younger and going through doom's source code-- even write a bitchy letter to them and got a "you're an idiot" response and didn't realize they were right until years later, at which point he realized they were not only right but his solution at the time was moronic.

And as for the 'bros in the room' thing, I've nothing against it and enjoy / appreciate when it's well done, I just don't think it's my cup of tea, and besides I don't really have a choice to do that. My recording equipment only maintains really good audio quality if you're right up on it (i have one nice mic-- it's really nice, but that's all i've got so even having two people gets really weird-- both all up on the mic while also standing in my closet with the door closed and practically with our nuts touching), and i don't have time for a group dynamic to percolate over time. That and with my friends somehow every game discussion ends up in places that I would be extremely uncomfortable putting in close proximity with my studio identity.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 4:13 pm 

Okay we used Skype and webcam mics and an MP3 recorder. Badass echo up in that bitch.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 6:35 pm 

I pretty much only listen to RadioLab and, recently, Games Industry Mentor. Anything with any lower information density just bores me to tears. The direction you're moving is the direction that will cause me to listen to your podcast.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 9:50 pm 

Outlander wrote:
I pretty much only listen to RadioLab and, recently, Games Industry Mentor. Anything with any lower information density just bores me to tears. The direction you're moving is the direction that will cause me to listen to your podcast.

potential downside: bioware austin

but really though thanks, i can't wait to listen to this podcast because i am lame & obsessed

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 11:09 pm 

just listened to the most recent episode, thanks for the post. I've always been impressed by how well spoken Adam Saltsman is-- saw him speak at GDC as well which was a real treat. Seems like a stand-up guy.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 1:37 pm 

Make This American Life, except only for games, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 1:44 pm 

looks like i need to start practicing my Ira Glass impression

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 1:50 pm 

Radiatoryang wrote:
Make This American Life, except only for games, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

i tried to do this last year but turns out editing sucks and there aren't that many stories about games. i'm gonna try to revive it for MD

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 1:56 pm 

Definitely look at A Life Well Wasted then-- that's the closest I've seen a game podcast come to that kind of storytelling, journalism and just high consistent quality.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 2:05 pm 

the problem with producing stuff like that is how much lead time you need for research, travel, editing, etc.

it's hard enough keeping a site updating regularly with "write anything you want about video games"

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 2:09 pm 

God i wish i could do that.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 2:10 pm 

yeah. And as much as I love the idea of doing a 'This Gaming Life', what with trying to run a company and make a game that's a bit beyond the scope of what I can handle, at least at the current juncture.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 2:11 pm 

How are them new knight sprites coming up btw? :D

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 2:16 pm 

working on them now-- will be posting on the site tonight

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 3:11 pm 

wake wrote:
looks like i need to start practicing my Ira Glass impression

Oh oh oh, I saw him once in Moscow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next