It is currently December 14th, 2017, 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: please read my website
PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 4:12 pm 

first cousin once removed of composer Philip Glass, true story.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2012, 5:58 am 

wake wrote:
both all up on the mic while also standing in my closet with the door closed and practically with our nuts touching

wat

PostPosted: June 5th, 2012, 8:44 pm 

only mild hyperbole

PostPosted: June 6th, 2012, 3:05 pm 

Is there an RSS feed for the blog?

PostPosted: June 6th, 2012, 7:12 pm 

workin on it-- the guy that actually built the guts of the website, zach, is in germany right now; he had to leave before some of the fiddly bits were finished. But he gets back i think monday so we'll get that working. Everything is set up, there's even the icon for it on the root site there's just no functionality.

also the next update just went up, and dale is workin on a great big post about coding that should be going up tonight, so extra bonus!

http://www.stellarjockeys.com!

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 6:03 am 

Me being a bit of a pixel art snob again, even though I cant make sprites worth ass myself.

Still, the new art style like looks great. It's simple and nice to look at.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 3:44 pm 

all good-- that creature in particular was done in its entirety over only an hour or so because we needed a test for a larger monster. And you're right about the lighting, it is a bit rubbish. You may have noticed that the red bot also lacks a lack outline-- i'm testing out how different treatments of pixel art turn out in the game space, hence all this stuff looking really hodgepodge.

Also, just put up part 1 of a post about some specific programming done for a system in the engine. It's on the technical side, so more oriented for you technical types.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2012, 6:08 am 

I think the first thing you gotta do is decide the sprites light source and stick to it. That way you wont have weird shadows and such within the sprite itself.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2012, 3:55 am 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ALL THAT WORK FOR LIKE A 2 1/2 MINUTE EDIT

*ahem*

anyway, i finally have a cut of the intro for the Stellar Jockeys podcast that's finished enough to post here for your perusal and criticism.

Still needs a little more work, but I'm driving to chicago today and thus need to salvage at least some of the night in order to not end up in a ditch on I-57. Please let me know what you think-- I'm trying very hard to hit somewhere on the spectrum between cool/entertaining and informative, and hopefully not all the way into "you're trying too hard". This intro is pretty light on any actual info, but that's because i wanted to keep it super tight/short, functioning just as an introduction and as a mood setter.

Full episodes are slated to be 10-20 minutes long (have some written drafts kind of done for the first few episodes), each divided into 2 to 4 parts. Unfortunately unless I get miraculously faster at writing, recording and editing, there's no way I'll be able to deliver more than one of these a month. And even then work on the actual game and running the company might still contravene.

I go into it a little in the intro, but the overall idea is to make this an audio diary of development, but in a fastidiously edited kind of way. I'm shooting for something like "This American Life" but where Ira Glass does an episode about himself writing and producing "This American Life". Does that make sense?

Anyway, here it is-- please listen and please let me know what you think, good bad and ugly. All comments are very much welcome and appreciated:

http://www.stellarjockeys.com/06-11-2012BTintro.mp3

PostPosted: June 11th, 2012, 4:00 am 

i think you nail the "this american life" style of presentation to a T, far better than any games-related media i've ever come across. it might be a bit beholden to it to a fault, but then that's natural for setting your course at first, once you spend time doing these, your own take on the format and style will naturally evolve so long as you aren't tamping it down intentionally.

as it stands it's as tremendously assured as a debut could be. though something about the vocal performance is surprisingly higher than your normal speaking register :custer:

PostPosted: June 11th, 2012, 4:52 am 

As someone who does voice work for a living (partly), I feel compelled to warn you that you will be in great danger of becoming totally anal about every single syllable. Took me months to get used to hearing the sound of my dorky voice; now I get pissed if I hear the slightest mistake.

If you don't have a pair already, get a good set of headphones so you can hear yourself as you talk. Also, this can never be posted enough.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2012, 5:14 am 

TOO LATE!!

Definitely went through what's goin on for Santa in that video to pronounce "Burst Transmission". Gauss helped me come up with the name, and I love it, but man it's a bastard to record.

And fortunately for me I went through the hating my voice phase when I was 13, while recording custom barks for my baldur's gate paladin. That's right, I totally did that. I was fortunate enough to already have a low register at that age, but I was so hypersensitive to my voice that I would distort it past recognition in order for it to be in any way acceptable to me while playing. Ended up taking about an hour per line of dialog hahaha.

But yeah, I know what you mean, and I have to fight the impulse to hyper edit. I'm already hitting the upper limits of how much time I can spend on an episode, so I just need to get faster with it.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2012, 5:17 am 

I guess that's why Voice Acting is often so terrible in games. Voice work is just not as easy as one might think.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2012, 7:04 am 

I have done a bit of voice work in the past and that shit is hard. Especially if you have to sing.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2012, 2:01 pm 

This is good. I think the intro noise needs to be a little louder, though. It should escalate to speaking volume so I don't inadvertently crank my speakers and level the building.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2012, 4:49 am 

hey guys-- as gauss mentioned one of the coders from my team, Harry, is for now on loan to work on his project, while in the other coder and I shore things up on our scratch built engine. The game is now completely different-- basically a 2d real time tactical game a la Mech Commander, difference being that we use Box2D to fire actual physics projectiles-- but I think it's a good change in direction and as a design will end up giving us a lot more bang for our buck, both visually and in terms of gameplay. Anyway, the point being that I was on hiatus for a while both from this site and the dev-blog because of a move (whole team now lives and works together in a house) and because I needed time to figure out this new direction, but now we're back to cranking on the game and publishing content on the site. I'd be much obliged if you fine folk would happen to swing by and let me know what you think every once in a while:

http://www.stellarjockeys.com/blog/

Cheers.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 4:43 pm 

Patrick Klepek continues to promote the shit out of you over at GB.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/worth-rea ... 1412/4369/

What's this about contributions?

http://www.mediumdifficulty.com/2012/09 ... needs-you/

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 4:37 am 

We also got longlisted for the Games Journalism prize. I am endlessly thankful for the traffic Patrick sends us, but I'm interested in how differently people convert when it's a ending link vs a quoted paragraph from an article and link. People seem to skim the list at the end.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 5:26 am 

I usually skip articles and head straight for the lists.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 5:34 am 

Cracked.com must be, well, crack for you

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 5:49 am 

True that. Though I get burned out from too much.

One of my hobbies is making lists. It's perfect for feeling like you're doing work but you're actually just listing all the work that you need to do.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 12:43 pm 

hotline miami review copy confirmed. :custer:

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 2:06 pm 

I like how that game looks. You better find it good/bad/basic/masterpiece/whatever.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 4:51 pm 

orikae wrote:
hotline miami review copy confirmed. :custer:

All the jealousy in the world.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 6:16 pm 

i won't have it until they're actually done the game but nonetheless, woot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next