It is currently October 18th, 2017, 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: mooosh's indie game workshop
PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 8:39 pm 

hey gang

you guys seem like you've got some good stuff to say about games, so I thought I'd share some of mine to hopefully get some good feedback.

here's what I'm working on right now:

it's a "not-game" about a man who is obsessed with birds, so he decides to become one.
it's super early still -- it's mostly just a movement engine at the moment, but you can get a sense of where i'm going with it.

DOWNLOAD (.zip)

if you'd like to check out any of my earlier games, most of them are here: http://helvetica-standard.blogspot.com/p/games_29.html

Post subject: Re: mooosh's indie game workshop
PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 12:27 am 

Where have you been all my life?

PostPosted: November 5th, 2012, 1:56 pm 

okay, finally checking this out... now. Back soon with an edit

edit: so this is indie as fuck. If I had a complaint, it is a little bit too much like some Molleindustria projects -- specifically, like a mash up of Every Day the Same Dream and Inside a Dead Skyscraper. I really like how going in to the bathroom made you naked, that was neat and worked well.

at any rate, this is a cool project with nice art. Great work!

PostPosted: November 5th, 2012, 2:44 pm 

Catching up on this board, long overdue with the honeymoon and so forth. Checking this out!

PostPosted: November 5th, 2012, 3:18 pm 

Yep, echoing Aubrey's thoughts. It does strongly recall Molleindustria games, but he makes good work, so that's at least partly a positive thing. I'm sure as you go forward you'll find your footing and what the game is about.

I like that in the flying the camera stays level with him, tilting the world. Pleasant sensation. Could we zoom out though when flying so we know where we're going/anticipating where we'll land and so forth? Zoom level is great for walking about but not for flying.

I would proffer some basic suggestions for "Why" but the whys are so tangential to so many great games. Focus on the whats. Even the most tenuously connected ideas/images/tokens/symbols etc knit together pretty quickly with gameplay. Tokens in the apartment are related to tokens out in the dreamlike world of the rooftops? The rooftop is a dreamworld reflection of the interior landscape of the apartment (a cluster of tall buildings resemble the kitchen table and refrigerator) and/or the character's interior state?

Maybe we clue a little bit better in on what the character is about and then the rest of the game is understood in that light. The shower bit is cute but no gameplay or significance there yet... please don't get us through an 8bit style reversion of Heavy Rain's daily motions, have more fun with it.

So that's vague as hell but anyway some lovely stuff on the way, let's see some kind of basic system of interactions in the game!

PostPosted: November 5th, 2012, 8:30 pm 

thanks a lot for the feedback guys -- interesting thoughts all around.

@Ninjas
that's interesting, I hadn't heard any Molleindustria comparisons yet until you two mentioned it. I've only played Unmanned (I really need to check out his other stuff), and I'm now interested to play those two you mentioned. having listened to him talk and chatting with him for a bit at Fantastic Arcade, it's definitely no surprise that we've got some similar ideas. it's not really an issue to me, personally, unless a lot of people start trying to call me out for ripping him off or whatever; I'd rather not compromise my stuff just because someone else has done something similar.

glad to hear that people are responding alright to the naked bit; I wasn't sure if that would turn people off or not.

@gauss
there was a zoom-in/out function dependent on your flight velocity at one point, I forget why exactly I took it out, but I'll mess around with it again.

I've been sure to put a bit of thought into the meaning of everything; I want this to be a game that people can really sink their teeth into and suck however much meaning they want from it, but still appease to the people who will play it and just see it as a silly little game that someone probably made while they were on acid.

(I have to risk sounding painfully pretentious explaining this, but) the game is about the way you feel while playing it, above anything else; there is meaning but I don't intend to shove it in anyone's face or force them to try to find it. I guess I'm kind of trying to make a 2D version of Proteus, but treat its content with a lot more subjectivity. that said, the "feeling" that I'm going for is based on the experience of getting lost in your thoughts or dreams; how it can be freeing, but how it can also lead to isolation and damage.

in the final version of the game, you will be set free in the city which will have a bunch of little things to play with or see. you can quit whenever you like, there isn't necessarily any incentive to keep playing (I'm still going back and forth on whether I want there to be any goals or not), but as you spend more and more time in the game it will begin to "break" and become all glitchy and buggy (vis-a-vis Glitchhiker) until the game finally crashes and that is the end.

my thoughts on the opening scene were that it would act as a way to teach the player the controls, but also set up a sense of normalcy before you're let out into the city level and weird shit starts happening. so I wanted it to feel kind of stale, to foil the later bit where you're let free and the game is no longer ordering you around to do things. but I agree that there could be more fun had with that stuff. I was considering doing something kind of like Norrland, where each action in your morning routine is presented as a Wario Ware-esque minigame, but I'm not sure. open to suggestions on that front.

but yeah, I'm hoping to get this out by the end of the month, so we'll see how things go. it's going to be released alongside another game that I'll also post here when it's test-able.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2012, 2:59 pm 

Wonderful, good to hear. You've got a lot better idea of where you're going with this than you let on, and that's good.

Also, you were at Fantastic Arcade? So was Ninjas. He's been going for a few years now, I'm sad to say I only made it a few years back, the inaugural FA, when I still lived in Austin.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 4:48 pm 

yeahh, I try not to explain these games very heavily before people play them -- that sort of defeats the point, in my mind.

and cool, I had no idea o;
do you live in Austin, Ninjas?

PostPosted: November 18th, 2012, 12:48 am 

I used to, and Ninjas used to live in Oklahoma, where he's from. But now I'm in Seattle and he's in SF, but Ninjas is pretty regular attendee to Fantastic Fest.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2013, 10:10 pm 

i made a new video game
this one was for an overnight game jam, so I made it in about 12 hours.

it's pretty much just a rip-off of Jan Williem Nijman's KARATE, but with levels, destructible environments, and a punk rock theme.

if any of you fellas have time I'd love to hear your thoughts on it

download

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013, 5:47 pm 

Fun. Also, can you punch projectiles? I think I did that on accident. (edit. yes you can, that's awesome)

You may want to add a tiny text file that tells you the controls-- took me a bit to realize it was arrow keys plus z to punch.

Also, in the future make sure you .zip file has all the files already contained in a folder, otherwise all the data flops out when people unzip it or they have to manually create a folder for everything to go into. I know some programmers who shit blood whenever they encounter a .zip file that isn't nested.

The game is simple but i got into it-- it's visually striking so you don't mind the simple graphics as much, and meant that when the assholes turned green it immediately got your attention. Music is great.

My only complaints were that i wanted to punch the scenery at people, like send the lightpole flying with a punch and not just from other people going. I really, really wanted to punch that car right when i stepped out. also maybe consider adding a little forward movement on the punch-- with how fast people move and how small your punch distance is, actually running up to someone and punching them in the face was really difficult. I ended up just standing still and swinging as people walked towards me. Adding more of a thrust to the punch or just increasing the distance of the attack might make it more gratifying.

Love your stuff Mooosh.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2013, 7:42 am 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/05/punksnotdead

I knew this looked familiar...

PostPosted: April 5th, 2013, 10:32 am 

I'm embarrassed that RPS posted about this before I got around to playing it.

I was gonna complain that it was too difficult to tell who I was before I realized that was probably the point.

I wish there was a checkpoint system cause I keep dying by the 3rd screen. Is there an actual end to it?

PostPosted: April 5th, 2013, 1:36 pm 

I feel like there should be a bit more of a distinction inbetween the player character and the rest. So many pink little men.

Hella fun little game overall.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 8:23 am 

If your character gets lost in the crowd the only real way to tell who you are is to punch everyone else out of the way.

You are literally punching conformity.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 10:04 am 

Or to jump, that works too.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 11:04 am 

You are literally jumping over conformity.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 11:29 am 

Unfortunately, the game signals to me that no matter how much I jump, or punch, I'm still lost amongst the masses.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 11:49 am 

next stop: nuovo award

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 3:36 pm 

i was going to say, congrats mooosh! punk game's gotten awesome press, i feel honored you shared it here personally. bunch of fun, just the right kind of visual to match.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 3:40 pm 

Yeah, it's good. Nice work! Reminds me a little bit of Keybroad Drumset Fucking Werewolf, but is still very clearly it's own thing.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2013, 9:02 pm 

thanks for all the feedback, guys. sorry I haven't gotten a chance to sit down and respond to all of it.
I'm glad you enjoyed it; it received a much more positive response than what I was anticipating.

wake wrote:
You may want to add a tiny text file that tells you the controls-- took me a bit to realize it was arrow keys plus z to punch.

I'm kind of wary of including text file instructions in games because

a) who reads them? i never do.
b) if the game can't speak for itself as far as teaching the player how to play, that's probably bad

but yeah in hindsight I really wish I had put some kind of overlay telling people to press Z.

wake wrote:
Also, in the future make sure you .zip file has all the files already contained in a folder, otherwise all the data flops out when people unzip it or they have to manually create a folder for everything to go into. I know some programmers who shit blood whenever they encounter a .zip file that isn't nested.

will definitely keep that in mind next time. that's something that totally bothers me, and yet I don't think I've ever made an effort to avoid it with my own games.

wake wrote:
My only complaints were that i wanted to punch the scenery at people, like send the lightpole flying with a punch and not just from other people going. I really, really wanted to punch that car right when i stepped out. also maybe consider adding a little forward movement on the punch-- with how fast people move and how small your punch distance is, actually running up to someone and punching them in the face was really difficult. I ended up just standing still and swinging as people walked towards me. Adding more of a thrust to the punch or just increasing the distance of the attack might make it more gratifying.

if I ever do anything with else with this, I'll definitely keep all of that in mind.

Ninjas wrote:
Yeah, it's good. Nice work! Reminds me a little bit of Keybroad Drumset Fucking Werewolf, but is still very clearly it's own thing.

I've been hearing that comparison a lot -- weird, since that game never really crossed my mind while making this. I do remember playing it and deciding that I wanted to make a similar music-video-in-game-form type thing, so I guess there was some residual run-off that appears in this game.

BobSagat wrote:
I wish there was a checkpoint system cause I keep dying by the 3rd screen. Is there an actual end to it?

yeah, there's a 4th screen which is pretty much the ending.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2013, 1:12 am 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06 ... s-hugpunx/

PostPosted: June 7th, 2013, 1:41 am 

yea that's been all over. i think it's almost had a bigger reception than my game already.

a weird thing about that game is that it's meant as an inversion of my game, but I feel like they both have kind of the same attitude towards violence. punksnotdead is in no way pro-violence. the violence in punksnotdead is turned up to such a deafeningly high volume that it, in a sense, becomes a parody of itself.

that was the intention, at least

PostPosted: July 7th, 2013, 7:06 pm 

I just realized I think I have seen you a couple times when I was down in Austin, but didn't really talk to you :(

Anyway, your kickstarter looks sweet!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967459848/lioness