It is currently December 16th, 2017, 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Game ideas, anyone?
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 11:01 am 

Hey guys, wasn't this board supposed to be full of unfinished ideas and wishful thinking? Now it's all just dongs, music and guns. True, that's enough for any man but I'm sure there are games floating around in heads that are waiting to be told, fleshed out and critiqued to hell. Anyhoo, here's a quick stream of two ideas that popped up today.

Idea #1 "Another FPS, but..."

FPS's haven't been on my repertoire as much the last few years but from what I have played and seen nothing has fucking changed. It's all just variations of the same basic weapons. Guns either fire bullets, or lasers/plasma/pulse which mechanically act the same as bullets except they glow and rockets which are like bullets that explode. Most questions you ask yourself while playing are also the same: "Do I want the semi-auto that's precise but slower, the short-range spread, the slow-moving explosion thing or the fast but inaccurate one?" So, while some of these questions will remain the goal is to shake up the formula considerably.

Next point is how the player defends from harm. It's either moving fast (UT, Quake), using cover (everything), regenerating HP (CoD4+, Halo), picking up HP (older FPS mostly). So now let's mash them all up and make them a deliberate choice of every player's playstyle.

Quickly, an overview of killing in the game. Everything is super lethal and superscience. Phaser like weapons that cut everything in half (no HP, what it touches on a person it cuts), particle accelerator guns which explode targets, plasma flamers with long range, gravity weapons which send people flying, disintegrator guns, super needlers, nanoblades.

You shoot guns with the LMB, you use your defense with the RMB.

Defenses are basically your way of playing 20 weapon RPS. R(D)eflect shields which reflect beam weapons back, Absorb shields which convert energy to ammo, Attack Absorb shields which charge up an attack while protecting, Blinker which teleports you to a random place on the map when you use it, Dash thrusters which send you very fast in some direction, Time slowdowners, Ploppable shield walls, Personal Time Rewinder, Body Rebuilder, Selectively protective armors, Chameleon armor, Implanted limbs and skeleton, Nano swarms, Personal gravity shifters.

You define your playstyle by the weapon/defense combination you pick. It would be a game where your enemies can throw wildly different shit at you and defend in many ways. The point is to work around whatever they are using while also not exploding yourself. Somebody's holding a deflect shield and you have a phaser? Cut off their legs! Somebody went by your deflect shield and cut off your legs? Explode them with the particle gun while nanobots reconstitute your legs.

It's all very off the top of my head and seriously in need of editing.

Idea #2 "Night Shift"

Online multiplayer with random people. Players take on the roles of night shift security in a large samey complex (office building, warehouse, multilevel parking lot, etc) and are dropped randomly somewhere on the map. Their inventory consists of a flashlight, a pistol with an extra mag and a walkie-talkie. The maps are confusing in their layouts as it's usually just floor after floor of the same thing. On the level are also monsters, more and more of them. Not that hard to kill, but bullets aren't plentiful. Using the walkie-talkie will help you figure out where other guards are (maybe it lights up on your map), but using it also attracts monsters. Mission: Survive!

Hmm, yeah this one kinda sucks now that I've written it down. Still, would like to hear opinions and most of all, someone else's stupid ideas.

Post subject: Re: Game ideas, anyone?
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 12:36 pm 

Playing with randoms is what I hate most about online gaming, so I don't think I'd ever play night shift.

Your first game sounds interesting, and reminds me of sword fighting, strangely enough. The sky's the limit with weapons and defenses, but surely if everything is super lethal people will gravitate towards the weapons that have the most output.
I like the idea of a limited amount of teleport beacons (visible only to yourself) which you can plop down, so when you initiate your teleporter you know where you are going, would take some pre-planning to use right. Also anything to do with gravity is fun.
How would you tackle time travel in multiplayer?

Darkchild

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 2:58 pm 

Darkchild130 wrote:
Playing with randoms is what I hate most about online gaming, so I don't think I'd ever play night shift.

Your first game sounds interesting, and reminds me of sword fighting, strangely enough. The sky's the limit with weapons and defenses, but surely if everything is super lethal people will gravitate towards the weapons that have the most output.
I like the idea of a limited amount of teleport beacons (visible only to yourself) which you can plop down, so when you initiate your teleporter you know where you are going, would take some pre-planning to use right. Also anything to do with gravity is fun.
How would you tackle time travel in multiplayer?

Darkchild

The time travel defense thingy would just send you back some time. You could probably set it to anything from 1-10 seconds. You'd just appear where you were that many seconds ago. Basically a teleport, but since you rewind yourself as well you would negate any damage done from that point.

I was thinking that the most powerful weapons (though most of them are) all have a bunch of different stuff that can block the damage, like someone using a shield or certain armor. BTW, the shields in question would be arm mounted energy shields of sorts that always are on your right/left side and you only bring them up and extend when pressing RMB. Plus, the super strong weapons would probably have a slight delay between firing modes.

This would also require everyone to have at least two weapons so as to counter different types of protection. Now this reminds me of Dark Souls PvP with guns and first person.

And fuck yes, the gravity weapons and utility would be great. People would be running on walls and ceilings, and the force push weapons would just ragdoll someone around, which would only kill you if you hit something very hard or bumped your head too much, but otherwise you'd immediately start running again. Destructible walls would be marvelous.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 3:10 pm 

Chaya wrote:

The time travel defense thingy would just send you back some time. You could probably set it to anything from 1-10 seconds. You'd just appear where you were that many seconds ago. Basically a teleport, but since you rewind yourself as well you would negate any damage done from that point.

Pretty much this exact mechanic is going to be in the next Black ops.

I was thinking that the most powerful weapons (though most of them are) all have a bunch of different stuff that can block the damage, like someone using a shield or certain armor. BTW, the shields in question would be arm mounted energy shields of sorts that always are on your right/left side and you only bring them up and extend when pressing RMB. Plus, the super strong weapons would probably have a slight delay between firing modes.

Why would you take a weapon with a delay if you can equal output/time with a lesser weapon, if most are powerful anyway?

This would also require everyone to have at least two weapons so as to counter different types of protection. Now this reminds me of Dark Souls PvP with guns and first person.

I'm liking this idea more and more

And fuck yes, the gravity weapons and utility would be great. People would be running on walls and ceilings, and the force push weapons would just ragdoll someone around, which would only kill you if you hit something very hard or bumped your head too much, but otherwise you'd immediately start running again. Destructible walls would be marvelous.

It would be beautiful carnage. Maps would be more "boxes" than grounded playing fields. You could do all sorts of subtle gravity manipulation to traverse big gaps/lethal things, like in Limbo for example.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 3:56 pm 

Went and watched the Blops trailer. Then googled blops 3 time travel and fuckdamnit. However, blops will, even with this, still play like any other CoD I reckon.

Haven't thought too much about balance, but I guess the super powerful phaser is risky to use since someone can reflect it and cut you in half, but you can just slash across an entire room and everybody in it. A needler can't be deflected, but requires precision and fires lots of needles which should go through most things. The main point is that unlike most shooters the rock-paper-scissors mechanic of weapons is much more complex and different than what has been used and reused ad nauseam. Here you have to know how every weapon behaves and how every defensive option works and also recognize them on sight (those that can be seen) and immediately adapt your weapons and defenses to suit your attacker, or try to work around their weaknesses. Whereas in most shooters I've played it's "See guy, shoot guy". Whatever your weapons and loadout are, you'll be playing almost the same and the opponent's loadout won't change your way of playing.

Personal gravity manipulation could be the fastest way to travel, just set your "down" to be in front of you and "fall" horizontally

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 4:05 pm 

Or grappling hooks. Grappling hooks=gravity manipulation could be crazy.
I've never played a game where I thought "I wish I could use this grappling hook less"

Darkchild

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 4:14 pm 

Darkchild130 wrote:
Or grappling hooks. Grappling hooks=gravity manipulation could be crazy.
I've never played a game where I thought "I wish I could use this grappling hook less"

Darkchild

Gravity manipulation is same thing without having to be very particular with your aim. Though that would enable people to awkwardly fly around I guess. Or if the grapple doesn't just pull you towards something but swings you.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 4:17 pm 

I think using the gravity manipulation to fly would be a bit much. You could achieve something less OP with a grapple, also you can swing other things with it. Plus you could combine the things, set up gravity anchors, ala Red faction Armageddon.

Darkchild

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 6:31 pm 

So I was drunkenly rambling to zombieOnion (or "Aleks") the other night about fighting/"character action" games and how I think fighting game systems are totally rad (read up on animation cancelling and input buffering - that shit gets deep), even though the games themselves may be somewhat lacking (Platinum comes very very close to getting it right) and I wondered aloud whether such games as DMC/Revengeance are going to die off altogether, much in the same way as horizontal arcade shooting scrollers did in their time, and then it tied into tango dancing, because we were at a tango thing drinking and also because I think conceptually things such as cancelling/buffering and other high-level FGC stuff totally translates to concepts in tango dancing. And then tonight I think I hit upon something that could be worked into a fighting game albeit in some wanky manner.

Basically, how you dance in tango is determined by about three things:

- Your own skill
- The skill of your partner
- The music

If we translate the first two points to video games as the Player Character and NPCs, it kinda works, albeit in reverse. How well you do in Devil May Cry depends roughly on how well you outwit your partners (whereas in tango dancing it's the reverse: pleasure is mutual and usually derived from the skill of both).

[NB if you've never played a DMC type game, the majority of fights are almost always sectioned off into 3-minute or so segments. Three minutes is also roughly the average length of a song in tango.]

But when we get to the third point - the music - that's very much a sticking point for a lot of dancers who are in the beginner/intermediate phase. Walking in a straight line is fine and dandy, but if you're completely out of rhythm (and your partner isn't) then it comes off as extremely sloppy, both to onlookers and your partner. Training for this is what it is: tedious, mostly - and part of the homework is literally hearing variations on the same musical compositions over and over and over again, although a basic knowledge of music theory goes a LONG way to explaining and understanding it.

To use a DarkChild example, think of it like marching. Once you've fallen into a rhythm that you're familiar with, you're free to do whatever as long as you adhere to the bounds of that rhythm. Or as a group of Russian cadets did recently

Anyway, regarding games, I fear there's a huge opportunity being missed in regards to music and this genre, especially in regards to character action types. When I talked about Platinum coming very close, I was chiefly referring to Revengeance, which did a phenomenal job in regards to music

I've posted this a bunch, but here's the Ray fight from the beginning of the game (again). The music is split into three parts for boss fights in Revengeance. The melody plays throughout, a muted instrumental plays during blade mode, and the last part of a fight/third form/finale QTEs are when the lyrics hit, crescendoing to a delightful conclusion. This continues thematically with all the other boss fights (slight exception made for Samuel, and the last boss fight begins with lyrics, signalling that shit's totally serious).

Why it works so well is basically as a result of programmers and sound/audio engineers working a hell of a lot on getting the music right. When you listen to the phrasing of the music in Revengeance, it's fast paced and written as such for a reason, and by that i mean it never takes more than a bar (or 4 beats) of music to transition between any of the music phases (melody/blade mode/lyrics). I think this system is great, but I want this to go a little bit further and to reflect onto and influence the player's ability.

How? Not exactly sure. There's a mammoth problem associated with it, in that for a game of decent length would require huge amounts of recording, but I'll put that aside. How I would implement it? Well, take concepts from tango dancing, obviously.

If the player is fighting to the rhythm, reward them accordingly. Combos that will keep you on a simple 4/4 measure will be somewhat boring and unoriginal, but it's the safe method and will see you through to the end of the song. Your partner will be unimpressed, however. If the player approaches fighting to the music in a different way (e.g. they "dance" not to the 4/4 rhythm, but with double time, or with syncopation, or to an audible instrument within the music playing) then the risk/reward is greater.

Funny thing is they did this already in Devil May Cry, but with the style meter. Unfortunately the style meter only took into account how infrequently you repeated inputs, and was more a test of how much of a dexterous wanker you were. What I'm proposing is taking that style system and toning it down slightly by putting music on the side. Crypt of the Necrodancer also plays around with this concept, but it keeps gamepaly to a rigid to-the-beat.

TLDR: music is important and influential and shit, so don't let its potential as a medium be wasted on background crap.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 11:48 pm 

Quote:
dongs, music and guns

Rename the forum to this plz.

Idea: Snake+

Snake is a nice simple game with some nice core mechanics. You move, you eat fruit, you get bigger. If you collide with the edge of the screen or with yourself you lose and have to start over. You win if you take up the entire screen.

It's such a neat core set of mechanics that I'm wondering if they couldn't be built upon to make something else.

Puzzle Snake

In this snake+ the void of the screen is instead populated by gates, switches, portals and other hazards and obstacles. Instead of filling the whole screen the player only needs to reach the end of the level. Doing so will require figuring out how to move through the level in order to reach the end while also having to weigh up when to eat fruit as being bigger could be better for some obstacles but worse for others.

Battle Snake Arena

In this snake+ the screen is populated with other moving, space hogging, fruit eating creatures that you must defeat! Other types of fruit which improve speed or provide other perks or would be included. Defeat your opponents by occupying space leaving them with nowhere to move! Also includes multiplayer.

The adventures of Snake

Combine Puzzle snake and Battle Snake to create a RPG snake+. Travel the lands and battle enemies for fruit, prestige and loot. Venture into dungeons full of traps and treasures. Level up your snake to gain new abilities!

Snake MOBA

5v5 Battle Snake Arena with over 100 different snakes to choose from, each with different abilities, strengths and weaknesses.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 3:26 am 

dudeglove wrote:
A bunch of stuff about music

Ironically, I turn most game music off after the first few plays, as it is a distraction and is detrimental to situational awareness.

Not Hotline Miami though, that game IS music.

Darkchild

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 4:03 am 

dudeglove wrote:
TLDR: music is important and influential and shit, so don't let its potential as a medium be wasted on background crap.

Looks to me like this is a kind of game you can only play for short bursts, that a frantic adherence to rhythm and beats would deter a lot of people. I'm probably wrong.

Skoosc wrote:
TLDR: Snake+

Isn't it then very much like lightcycle battles from Tron? And your arena idea reminds me of a game from a PC demo disc I played some 15 years ago. It was arena based with several large arenas connected together. There were buildings with ramps and shit. Everybody rode futuristic lightcycle looking bikes which always moved and you could pick up weapons and leave a lightcycle kinda trail at wish to boost yourself/make people crash.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 5:51 am 

Quote:
Looks to me like this is a kind of game you can only play for short bursts, that a frantic adherence to rhythm and beats would deter a lot of people. I'm probably wrong.

I think as Hotline Miami and Super Meat Boy have demonstrated that stripped of their music they are far lesser games. Hotline Miami's beats certainly contribute to the game's appeal, but part of me wants it to contribute to the gameplay slightly deeper.

Maybe not a whole game, really, but lets say there was a certain boss fight in Bayonetta 3 involving you fighting, I dunno, a demon heavy metal band, and you can only fight if you're doing it to the beat. DmC's famous night club level could have ascended even further if they made the music more of a thing.

I'm reminded again of Remember Me, which had so much promise but burdened with HORRENDOUS fight mechanics, as well as a plot time-rewind "memory remix" feature where you'd subtly alter the memories of certain characters.

A few years later the same studio put out another game revolving entirely around that mechanic, called Life is Strange.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 5:53 am 

The other mammoth problem is how on earth do you program for such a thing. It would probably be just one game and one song.

Y'know what, if no one else will make it I'll attempt to.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 6:54 am 

It might work well for an on-rails move/kinect/wiimote swordfighting game. Except you'd look like the only guy on a rave party. Or make it a shooter, bullets are beats and you're a drummer armed with a machine gun.

I can see myself shooting up a nightclub to this:

Lulls with a soft beat while you wait for more enemies. The gameplay is Painkiller like but you want to move around in such a way that you always have targets in your sight and pull the trigger to the beat while also not dying. The butcher night club song from Blade is a good example too.

My Shooter Game again, just writing stuff for fun.
The maps are either huge or small. Huge in the way that you can walk around for at least 30 seconds without having to shoot, so that you can use grappling or gravity to travel around and pick fights when and where. Small so that all the carnage is funneled into several rooms and hallways.

Weapons, Pick two:
Cutting laser - Fires a beam that cuts. Beam lasts for a second or so, delay of a second before firing again. Must cut across body to kill.
Particle gun - Basically Q3 railgun but target also explodes. Similar delay as the railgun between shots.
Plasma flamer - High velocity plasma at 100 yards. Easy to spot, hard to block.
Force gun - Kinetic weapon, sends anyone extremely fast in the opposite direction. Can also catapult yourself. Crushes walls and makes ragdolls crush through walls.
Needler - Superhighvelocity needles go through most physical matter. Takes a few to kill someone, fires fast.

Defense/Utility, Pick one Active(A) and one Passive(P):
Reflector Shield(A) - Reflects laser, stops other stuff except Force gun. Covers your side and partial front, on use covers front.
Absorb Shield(A) - Same as reflector except doesn't reflect laser. Absorbs damage as energy. Unsure about this.
Blinker(A) - Random teleport on click.
Teleporter(A) - Teleport to previously tagged place
Dash(P) - Dash very fast in direction you're going on doubletap
Time slowdowner(A) - Bullet time in an area
Shield Wall Plopper(A) - Immediately creates a large anti-all shield where you're standing.
Rewinder(A) - Jump back 1-10 seconds on click, change period buttons.
Rebuilder - Rebuilds lost limbs and damage from lasers, needler and flame. Takes a second to start working.
Energy Armor(P) - Protects from Energy weapons.
Armor(P) - Protects from non-Energy weapons.
Chameleon(P) - Suit matches surroundings
Exosuit(P) - Speed, survivability on falls and impacts.
Nano Swarm(A) - Send out a swarm of machines which block sight and negate incoming damage.
Gravity Shifter(A) - Change your gravity to pull you in any direction.
Grappling Hook - Swing around. Maybe as a universal passive.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 9:58 pm 

Quote:
how do i coded music gaem?

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference ... mData.html
And then figure out a timing mechanic or something, Idunno.

It would actually be pretty interesting if what it measured was actually how close you were to your rhythm on a previous measure, and the beat was just there to help the player out. There's your risk/reward for syncopation right there. Also probably easier to do than beat detection.

Quote:
gun fightan gaem that feels like sord fights

yaaassssss

moooooorrreee

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 2:07 am 

Quote:
It would actually be pretty interesting if what it measured was actually how close you were to your rhythm on a previous measure, and the beat was just there to help the player out. There's your risk/reward for syncopation right there. Also probably easier to do than beat detection.

You're describing Parappa the Rapper. What I want is for the player to be with the music, not after it.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2015, 4:28 pm 

Alright, how about a game that's a DayZ Clone but instead of circling around the murderhobo problem you fully embrace it.

Hunted

as I call it is a game that, same as DayZ, takes place on a huge map with a bunch of players dropping in without any weapons. The goal of the game is to just play it, but there's some things along the way. For killing others you gain points, maybe like prestige or whatever. You don't always get the same amount of points. You shot someone who hadn't fired a single round? Fewer points, the battle was one-sided. You got shot by the person you killed? More points, the battle was possibly deadly for you. You shot someone who was unarmed? Negative points, fuck you.

The gameplay would be the same, minus zombies. So you run around the map, collecting gear and trying not to get yourself killed. You can still ally yourself with a player since being in a group would certainly enable you to kill others better, and you can get points for assisting in kills (but killing those travelling with you would net few if any points). Now, technically, loot would be much more desired than points since it allows for easier killing, but with great loot comes great danger as nobody wants to get close to you unless you're lying all dead and shit.

Idk, throw in some passive/aggresive animals and make all the weapons semi-auto, bolt action, whatever. Also, points like give you possibly something if you reach a number.

I may be slightly drunk but this sounds like a good idea.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 10:16 am 

Okay, something more serious this time.

Today, I was listening to the 99% Invisible podcast episode 165: Nutshell Studies (LINK), which is a great podcast everyone should check out.

That particular episode talks about the Nutshell Studies seminar in Baltimore where homicide detectives go to and look at small, but extremely detailed, dioramas of murder cases. Each given a specific diorama they try to piece together what happened by just observing the scenes. Later, they are given the correct answer.

A game made out of this simple concept sounds doable. Imagine it being a small studio game released in episodes. Each episode a new crime scene. At the release of every new episode the solution to the last one is revealed and the players scored.

How the actual gameplay would work is also simple, yet complex. Each episode is just that one crime scene, be it a whole house or just a single room. It is highly detailed and everything could be part of the solution as far as the player knows. Several things would not be tied to the room, and they would be autopsy reports, lab results (where applicable), witness testimony, etc. The player is allowed to free-roam the entire scene and inspect every inch of it in hopes of finding out what happened. Noting down the solution would be done via a parser of some sort that goes into as much detail as possible. Who killed who, where, how, with what, why? All those questions would have to be answered. The more specific you are, the closer you can be to the actual solution. It would not be made easy, like in so many puzzle games (this is also basically a puzzle) where you are given only a handful of possibilities to deduce from. Here when writing down that the victim was killed by a blunt object the game would offer up every object in the game, not just several or even worse give a list where only one or two are blunt.

A proper report would provide the time of death of every victim, and the correct order and timeframe of actions as well as the correct murder weapons, accessories and motives.

By extensively using laser scanning technology, the majority of the game's assets could be made quickly since nothing would depict something fantastical or out of this world. There is also no need for animation since the player can be a floating camera and the dead rarely move.

Hope someone also checks out the podcast or even that one episode (they're all short (10-20 mins) when compared to regular podcasts) and pitches in.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2015, 9:14 pm 

Murder game sounds like the best parts of L.A. Noire without the horseshit. I like it. Every object in the game would have an associated list of adjectives. Everything hand placed like in Morrowind, but there's actually a reason for it to be there and your not just stuffing your pockets with pillows and spoons to sell back to their owner.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2015, 11:13 am 

Okay, I've got a PC for a day or two so time to write another one.

Reverse Logic Dying Game

A Dark Soulsesque action RPG where you control a protagonist that starts off in the usual weakling form. Your only gear, apart from clothes, is a sword. You hack and slash around like usual but an interesting thing happens when you first die. Dying would not be a game over or reset, you would get up right where you died shortly after. Storywise it's your weapon that's possessed by some evil and you can't get rid off it. You are the chosen one, though chosen by evil, not good, to bring destruction upon the world. Once you die, the weapon revives you and in doing so places a bit of itself in you, making you stronger, faster, better, but also bringing you closer to being its puppet. You can only die so many times and each death brings you closer to losing, but also making it easier to win.

Car Driver Indie Game

In this game you play as a driver to a wealthy dude. The game is done in an appropriate-bit style and mostly just offers the view of a car interior. You can touch, pull, push and tinker with every little button and part of the car but don't actually drive. The actual driving is done by picking a destination and route you wish to take (route statistics explained by your experience as a driver). While driving you mainly talk with your employer and uncover a story you're not a direct participant in. You might also overhear him talking on the phone or talking to someone in the car. The game would offer micro choices such as playing certain radio stations or CDs, deciding on routes, turning the heating up, snooping around the car, cleaning the car during lulls, tilting the rearview mirror to get a better look at another passenger, etc. Story would be great and shit. 10 bucks on steam.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 7:46 pm 

Night Club Doorman Simulator
It's Papers, Please mixed with some beat-em-up.
You are a doorman at a nightclub (different nightclubs are different levels). People get in line, you check their IDs. If they're fake, you gotta ask people to leave. So it has a bunch of Hitman-esque grabbing and dragging. Also lots of people vomiting, and getting in your face, because they're drunk and high, and call you a police school reject. Sometimes you gotta walk into the night club, Gentle Push your way through the dancefloor and break up fights.

Dead Souls
Final Fantasy Tactics meets Fire Emblem meets X-Com meets Nikolaj Gogol's novel Dead Souls.
You travel rural victorian Ukraine and Russia, collecting undead heroes to your party. Together you band together and fight others in an online turn-based tactics game. Microtransactions upp the wazoo to get weapons/armor/spells and shit.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 7:48 pm 

Chaya wrote:
Okay, I've got a PC for a day or two so time to write another one.

Car Driver Indie Game

In this game you play as a driver to a wealthy dude. The game is done in an appropriate-bit style and mostly just offers the view of a car interior. You can touch, pull, push and tinker with every little button and part of the car but don't actually drive. The actual driving is done by picking a destination and route you wish to take (route statistics explained by your experience as a driver). While driving you mainly talk with your employer and uncover a story you're not a direct participant in. You might also overhear him talking on the phone or talking to someone in the car. The game would offer micro choices such as playing certain radio stations or CDs, deciding on routes, turning the heating up, snooping around the car, cleaning the car during lulls, tilting the rearview mirror to get a better look at another passenger, etc. Story would be great and shit. 10 bucks on steam.

You gotta help your employer dump dead hookers into the river too. And drive him home from shady deals while mobsters hunt you. Everything with shitty 90ies music.
Tom Cruise pops in and asks you to drive him around for a day while he's killing people that Scientology deemed "fair game".

PostPosted: February 6th, 2016, 5:53 pm 

Arrrright here's one for you guys.

All You Need Is Kill / Edge of Tomorrow but at the squad level.

TLDR -- Xcom where you're fighting the same hopeless battle repeatedly but you get to reset the day each time and all your soldiers remember everything so they get better whether they live or "die". Final "mission" is turning the safety off and doing that battle for real, whoever dies actually dies that time, and if you fail then that's it.

I see two ways of doing it; the fancier, full 2-year production cycle version is to do it as a tactics game where you actually control your units in combat like Xcom. The quick and dirty version is just the Geoscape/Base management, with combat outcomes just being resolved as die rolls. Advantage of the latter version is that it's much simpler/faster to build, and from a player perspective your iteration time on each day is much much faster. Let's call them the tactics vs management versions of the game. Tactics version would have something like ~50 day cycles to beat the game, whereas the management version would be more on the order of a year or two, depending on how much stuff you put in the management layer. The common aspect between the two is that you're a commander in charge of a group of people hopelessly outnumbered by an enemy force. You might not even start as soldiers, maybe you're all scientists. Realizing you're about to get fucked you turn on the McGuffin which cycles the day for everyone hooked into the McGuffin (you could do this either as a sci-fi game or as a medieval magic fantasy game-- i'm interested in both). The joy of the game is that you have get to watch you squad of guys go from schlubby scientists/mercs to the baddest mutherfuckers in the world/galaxy. Each 'day' you split your guys between different tasks, and each day they either succeed or fail at what they're assigned to do (which also depends on who and how many you assigned to each task), but regardless they're always getting better. Maybe there's a fatigue element where you need to rest some guys so that they don't go batshit, maybe there's a mechanic where you can just have the entire team stay in and get shitface then communally end it with a "grenade party" before the bad's can break in so that no one lives long enough to get tortured or anything.

The progression and research sides of the game are that as your soldiers get more experienced with equipment they're using they'll start modifying it-- hair triggers etc. And as you gain more knowledge of the field your guys are better at combating them because they know exactly where everything is. You could have a mechanic where up to a point, the more times a group tries a specific attack/action the better they get at it. On the research side of things, maybe it's figuring out who the officers / big bads are and figuring out how best to kill them while leaving as many of you still alive at the end as possible. Long story short, you keep cycling the day over and over, learning different stuff and figuring out more of the battlefield. You end the game by deciding to turn off the McGuffin, and once it's off you can't turn it on again, so that's it. Either you win on that cycle or you lose. But you have to decide that at the beginning of the day, so you commit to it and then see how it turns out, not the other way around.

Ok, that's my idea.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2016, 9:56 am 

It reminds me of the countless moments in tons of games where I saved quicksaved at the worst possible time, maybe a second or two before dying, and my last regular save was an hour ago. I don't want to spend an hour replaying the whole mission, so the only choice is to load the quicksave over and over again until I succeed. It can sometimes take longer than it would replaying the whole damn mission. But it's always you in the most dire circumstance, almost no HP, no medkits, and something is just about to kill you. So you quickload and try holding left, nope still dead. Then you try right, then back, forward, all diagonals, crouching, prone, jumping, all of those but in different directions until you succeed. But even when you don't die in the first second you're still fucked as you're killed in the second. So you quickload so many times you forget what it's like to play the game regularly, all you have in your mind is the muscle memory of playing that quickload, every action automatic until you figure it out, like an invisible Simon says.

But yeah, I like your idea. The mission would have to be hella developed and full of detail and things going on or it would just become very boring after a short while. I could see myself playing it for an unhealthy amount of time.

Could even work as a weird FPS where you have to play as every character in your squad. And on each reload the one you played as will be replaying those movements, until the whole squad is replaying your movements but you keep changing them as it's never good enough.