It is currently August 20th, 2017, 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Podcasts
PostPosted: January 27th, 2016, 8:28 pm 

Can any of you fine gentlemen of high culture recommend some good podcasts?

Currently I'm listening to and recommend:

War Nerd Podcast - I think most of the forum know who the war nerd is. If not, there's lots of good discussion about war around the world and from history. Good frank discussion that doesn't just cheer for the home team.

The Cracked Podcast - Fun and interesting discussion about odd bits of popular culture. Episodes on the history of Star Wars and also Gun Control are both good.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - Podcast on some of the darker aspects of history. Highly recommend the 6 part series Blueprint to Armageddon about the first World War.

Post subject: Re: Podcasts
PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 3:51 am 

The NSFWCORP folk are potentially coming back to cover the 2016 election (if they get another 250 dollars in pledges)

https://www.patreon.com/nsfwcorp?ty=h

NSFWCORP was the slightly deranged collective started by Paul Carr of Mark Ames (now Pando and spun off the War Nerd Podcast with John Dolan), Yasha Levine (Pando, formerly Exile with Ames, currently writing book on Surveillance Valley), Leigh Cowart (former scientific researcher who writes highly-informative smut freelance), Olivia Nuzzi (former Anthony Weiner campaign intern and now Daily Beast), Chris Goscinski (errand boy) and many other contributors over their brief two-year existence. After pretty much running out of money, Pando came along and bought NSFWCORP, bringing their particular brand of chaos and upsetting people to west coast tech. Their live podcast shows used to be nearly every night at their height when they were broadcasting "from somewhere above the Las Vegas strip". It was great fun and I weirdly have met or spoke to most of the people listed above in person and disproportionately know them too well for my own good.

The other podcasts I listen to regularly are the Bombcast and Beastcast from Giantbomb.com, which I know some folk can find grating, but the recent East coast version with Vinny & Austin tends to focus on more niche issues in them thar video games, whereas the main one is more mainstream.

In addition, there's Dan Savage's Savage Lovecast, which a former coworker got me onto. He's good for his opening rants on whatever is getting fucked up in America that week or month (usually anti-Republican screed), and the call ins from people can be hilarious and affecting, although I tend to stop listening when someone starts discussing a particular fetish that I really cannot deal with.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 10:33 am 

I'm not cultured enough to actually learn anything from podcasts, so the only podcast I listen to is the TOVG podcast hosted by George Weidman of Super Bunnyhop, Matt Visual and Jimmy from Sunder Gamer.

Pretty good as far as video game podcasts go, they mostly talk about current event stuff and what games they're currently playing. One of the things I like most is that they never go on too long about a news topic or a game. All three hosts are mindful enough to not ramble aimlessly or make a pointless repetitive rant, not that it doesn't happen from time to time, but they're conscious of it when it does. I feel like too many podcasts are ruined by each host needing to voice their own special snowflake perspective that usually boils down to the same thing.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2016, 3:48 pm 

I watch (I say watch, I let them play in the background while I do stuff) epic 8 hour long political chats on youtube, never thought to bother with podcasts.

Darkchild

PostPosted: May 4th, 2016, 3:38 am 

Very nice, it makes me understand more.

gclub online

PostPosted: May 4th, 2016, 3:50 am 

Nice one bot, good talk.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2016, 3:58 am 

#BringBackUggsBot

PostPosted: May 27th, 2016, 2:13 pm 

Guy with picture of Replicant as avatar is arguing with software on internet forum
#SuchMeta

I started listening to this creepypasta podcast. First a swedish one, then the american one that was the inspiration for the swedish: http://knifepointhorror.libsyn.com/rss

It's hit and miss, since creepypasta is hit and miss.