It is currently November 18th, 2017, 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: basic info on the game
PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 9:00 pm 

Thanks, it's a very good possibility that I will both want and require help on this game, no question--but I am probably going to get it a little more sorted out before that call goes out. Don't worry, the people in this forum will still be the first to know about either--developments on the game or when I'm going to be expanding the team beyond myself. So stay posted (a forum joke??? [-]r ).

PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 9:04 pm 

cool. by the time you post the call i'll be able to help in multiple areas

signed

a renaissance poster

PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 11:24 pm 

Have you prototyped the most basic level of what you want to achieve? Like do you have some areas sketched out if you're doing an explorer type game or maybe some pictures of untextured guns if you're making a gun savvy shooter? (I know you have these)

PostPosted: November 28th, 2010, 4:06 am 

It sounds great so far, an FPS I can think of with a sense of planning was Far Cry 2, the weapons choice, direction and time of day were limited somewhat by the designed paths into an area but it had a tangible effect on gameplay. I actually had a game idea along these lines, sort of like Jagged Alliance 2 but as an FPS.

I'm sure you have plenty of sources of inspiration already, but the mention of Stalker makes me think of the sense of atmosphere, again something Far Cry 2 definitely had. My game idea was basically partisans trying to reclaim their land from organized and well-equipped occupiers. The sense of the outdoors, hunger, cold and fear, the ugliness of war and yet still fighting. This was mostly inspired by stories of the Belarusian partisans, and possibly movies like Red Dawn, with the eastern Rockies, with scrubland, mountains and forests. The other aspect I think would be very rewarding is something like how your choice of missions in Freedom Fighter affected other missions in strategic ways.

I could go on but this is getting too close to "I had a great game idea and you should make it for me!" territory. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

(Also as for programming, I don't know much about UDK's complexity or your level of experience but I think it would be worthwhile to involve a coder versus trying to sort it out yourself. I have programming experience and schooling and it still sucks to learn a new system, let alone programming generally.)

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 12:23 am 

Thanks, rot. First off I would love to involve a coder but you can appreciate the complications that can involve when I can't pay. I believe I'm to the point where I can competently navigate the first major hurdle, which is recalibrating UDK to the scale I would like to work at. Traditionally, UE engine games (or at least UT3 et al) work at a scale of 2 cm = 1 uu (unreal unit). For a variety of reasons I am going with the scale that the other UE licensees have gone with (or so the UDK dev links tell me), which is 1 cm = 1 uu.

Once calibrated thusly--which involves a few physics and sound attentuation tweaks, and most importantly the player character scale and sightline tweaks--I will likely first build a kind of test level, trying out both prototype concepts and art pipeline considerations. Only at the tail end of this stage do I think Iwould feel comfortable posting material here, but never say never.

And yeah rot you're right, atmosphere is a big component. What I'm interested in is evoking the kind of classic, monolithic science fiction locales I enjoyed as a child on the expertly rendered covers of science fiction paperbacks. I want to serve up the particulars of the game world, character interaction etc. with convincing detail, as well as the firearms more or less strictly on real-world terms with a few exceptions (more on that later), but the world will definitely be of the atmospheric science fiction variety, promoting exploration.

That's about as much as seems right to say right now.

Endrite: I have spec'd out most of what I want to achieve but have not prototyped it. And yes, I do have untextured high poly weapons that I have built but nothing spells shitty mod-level effort like, well, pictures of untextured high poly weapons (see doomed forum project thread in EE). Not that those guns won't show up in my game, I believe they will, but that process was about figuring out if I could do it. And I can.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2010, 1:29 am 

gauss wrote:
games that reward me still having a brain.

Attachments:
shutupandtakemymoney.jpg
shutupandtakemymoney.jpg [ 69.49 KiB | Viewed 2424 times ]