It is currently August 18th, 2017, 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: basic info on the game (old thread)
PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 6:31 pm 

For those that don't know or don't follow me on twitter (id gausswerks), I am currently pursuing independent development of a game.

Scanty info I know, so here are the basic facts for now. The game is:

• a third person adventure/explorer shooter
  • uses UDK engine
  • current inspirations from Hitman and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.
  • in early pre-production (no kidding)
  • emphasis on interstitial gameplay, not endless samey gunplay
  • Intended for digital distribution only (Steam primarily), deluxe print/manual laden version an eventual possibility

Soon there will be early concepts to check out as well as the name. Stay tuned.

Post subject: Re: basic info on the game
PostPosted: September 20th, 2010, 5:55 am 

sounds cool, how independent is it going to be? I don't know how publishing works in these cases for example, are you going to self-publish?

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2010, 4:14 pm 

What kind of influences are you taking from Hitman and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, if I may ask? Bald mutants? Upgradable guns? A world populated solely by men?

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2010, 11:17 pm 

necroid: as independent as it can be, hopefully. Likely kept to a very small team, hope to get it on Steam as the primary distribution platform.

Endrite, I think the most accurate I can be about those influences is to say that I hope to capture part of how Hitman allows you to observe and then execute on a plan (and yes, collect/upgrade many firearms and hopefully get more use out of them than 47 generally does), and from S.T.A.L.K.E.R the scavenging/survival stuff. Something like that.

More generally I admire that they are both games that reward me still having a brain.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2010, 11:27 pm 

gauss wrote:
necroid: as independent as it can be, hopefully. Likely kept to a very small team, hope to get it on Steam as the primary distribution platform.

Endrite, I think the most accurate I can be about those influences is to say that I hope to capture part of how Hitman allows you to observe and then execute on a plan (and yes, collect/upgrade many firearms and hopefully get more use out of them than 47 generally does), and from S.T.A.L.K.E.R the scavenging/survival stuff. Something like that.

More generally I admire that they are both games that reward me still having a brain.

How do you plan on getting around the problem in Hitman where, when the shooting started, enemies would just run towards your position heedless of chokepoints or even other enemies?

PostPosted: September 24th, 2010, 2:31 am 

gauss wrote:

Little bit of personal opinion slated as advice: try to make gun upgrades to be less about making the gun better and more about making the gun easier to use player skill wise. I always disliked the way the way the later stalkers handled upgrades where it ended up pretty much being pay money to make gun better. Upgrades should be either to change the way it works or make it easier to use (swapping out iron sights for holo sights for example, or a lighter stock that makes the gun easier to handle... less sway in the aim) red orchestra did this pretty well with its weapon varients, like a full sized mosin nagant would kick like a horse but would fly true for a lot longer but would be more cumbersome in close quarters and nearly impossible to aim firing from the hip, while the carbine version didn't suffer these problems as much but didn't have the insane range of the nagant.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2010, 11:59 am 

What's the financial situation with using UDK? Do you have to pay Epic like 90% of any profits or do you get to use it completely free?

PostPosted: September 25th, 2010, 4:08 pm 

Polarys wrote:
What's the financial situation with using UDK? Do you have to pay Epic like 90% of any profits or do you get to use it completely free?
When you try to sell your game they want 25% of your net take on a quarterly basis.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 10:06 pm 

Is this game going to be a Left 4 Dead-style cowboy posse sim?

PostPosted: October 11th, 2010, 3:20 am 

Endrite wrote:
What kind of influences are you taking from Hitman and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, if I may ask? Bald mutants? Upgradable guns? A world populated solely by men?

I think he means where the models will be shared by multiple factions like in stalker (duty, loners, and freedom used the same model for their basic suit). From what I've heard from mr. werks on steam is that it might even include textures and to a greater degree, but it would be played off by different areas having them load different models/textures. Like a vicious dog's model might be a bush and you are violently attacked. But in the next town over, a vicious dog is actually an empty tub of cooking oil and youre put into critical health when it sinks its teeth into you after surviving 5 headshots (like in stalker the dogs will be unstoppable)

PostPosted: October 14th, 2010, 8:35 pm 

I'm not sure the universe is ready for Gauss to make an Indy game. We might all implode.

I for one am honored to die in service of our Glorious Leader.

Anywho, I'm excited to hear a little more details. If I may, my biggest problem with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was that I never felt like the game cared about me. If I lived or died, was last as all get-out or completely ignoring all optional quests, the game just went on.

Don't get me wrong, it did an amazing job of making the world feel alive- need I bring up just sitting around a campfire listening to the AI play the guitar?- but it was not by a long-shot user friendly. Don't hold my hand, but at least make sure I know what I'm supposed to be doing. Nobody likes wandering around for an hour trying to advance because they don't realize they have to go do XYZ to open a new plot line.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 10:41 am 

existent wrote:
I'm not sure the universe is ready for Gauss to make an Indy game. We might all implode.

I for one am honored to die in service of our Glorious Leader.

Anywho, I'm excited to hear a little more details. If I may, my biggest problem with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was that I never felt like the game cared about me. If I lived or died, was last as all get-out or completely ignoring all optional quests, the game just went on.

Don't get me wrong, it did an amazing job of making the world feel alive- need I bring up just sitting around a campfire listening to the AI play the guitar?- but it was not by a long-shot user friendly. Don't hold my hand, but at least make sure I know what I'm supposed to be doing. Nobody likes wandering around for an hour trying to advance because they don't realize they have to go do XYZ to open a new plot line.

it gave you a quest arrow and it told you your goal and if you needed help, your pda could give you more info on the quest. but it was always up to you on how the given situation.

as for the feeling of the world not caring if you live or die, thats a major appeal for me. i hate feeling like the world revolves around me in a videogame. where in bioshock im one of two (or once) sane people where everyones trying to contact me to do everything. in stalker, youre just another person with a gun and armor, just like everyone else in the area. nobody cares who lives in the zone except for faction leaders, its mostly just who they want dead.

you feel like even though you can help tons of people, the only person who honestly care if you died would be a bandit who would steal your backpack and leave you for the dogs. and its the best sort of feeling a game like stalker could give.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 10:50 am 

pariah dog wrote:
it gave you a quest arrow and it told you your goal and if you needed help, your pda could give you more info on the quest. but it was always up to you on how the given situation.

as for the feeling of the world not caring if you live or die, thats a major appeal for me. i hate feeling like the world revolves around me in a videogame. where in bioshock im one of two (or once) sane people where everyones trying to contact me to do everything. in stalker, youre just another person with a gun and armor, just like everyone else in the area. nobody cares who lives in the zone except for faction leaders, its mostly just who they want dead.

you feel like even though you can help tons of people, the only person who honestly care if you died would be a bandit who would steal your backpack and leave you for the dogs. and its the best sort of feeling a game like stalker could give.

totally agreed one of stalkers major appeals was that it felt like you were just some dude and not the saviour of humanity, while ultimately your character would end up outclassing most npcs simply because you generally have a far superior brain to them (but i might be over reaching with that considering some people) it doesn't ruin the oppressive atmosphere at all

PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 11:32 am 

When are you releasing more information on this game, Gauss Broussard?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 12:26 pm 

Kerc Kasha wrote:
totally agreed one of stalkers major appeals was that it felt like you were just some dude and not the saviour of humanity, while ultimately your character would end up outclassing most npcs simply because you generally have a far superior brain to them (but i might be over reaching with that considering some people) it doesn't ruin the oppressive atmosphere at all

Like I said, the "living world" was one of my favourite things about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I just meant that none of the characters reacted to me in any way. Aside from killing them, NPC interaction was very limited. Take, for example, Gauss' other cited inspiration, Hitman. Sure, you're a silent killer and you don't really "interact" with anyone in a way that doesn't involve murder, they interact with each other in colorful ways that create a sense of truly stepping into their world. On the other hand, in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., you get the feeling that these NPS's were simply dropped into the game to fill it. (Which, of course, they were, but it shouldn't feel that way.)

PostPosted: October 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm 
exiled

existent wrote:
in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., you get the feeling that these NPS's were simply dropped into the game to fill it. (Which, of course, they were, but it shouldn't feel that way.)

Ehh...I sort of felt that the amount of actions they can take - hunting mutants, going to different locations, etc. - justified their presence. It's just that they don't have "normal lives". They're zone inhabitants, just like you, so basically their interactions with the world are going to be the same as yours: Kill things, take stuff.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2010, 4:03 am 

existent wrote:

Wasn't Darkest of Days indy enough?

PostPosted: October 18th, 2010, 3:02 pm 

dudeglove wrote:

Wasn't Darkest of Days indy enough?

It was a Single C game, which frankly there aren't enough of these days.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 9:24 pm 

What about TV robots is this game going to have TV robots?

PostPosted: October 30th, 2010, 2:01 am 

Is anyone else working on the game with you right now?

PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 7:32 pm 

What's he building in there? [] [] [] [] []

PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 4:15 pm 

Vague apologies for no updates but better I think to remain circumspect instead of indulging in some endless, Quake-era-Romero style hype about a game that is still taking shape in my own head. Progress has been slow, if only because I have had to take time to learn the basics of programming.
Thankfully that is making sense now, finally a breakthrough as far as that goes and I am split between pursuing a potentially more sensible interim small game project (yet another flash game, boourns) or coming back to the UDK project in earnest.

To answer the question about the team, as of now it is only myself developing this game so far, which is why I wanted to get a handle on coding basics as for the time being I have no one else to rely on.

I still want to pursue a policy of open development--Mount & Blade style et al. But it seems less prudent to be too open at a stage when things are still so highly formative. So there you go, there's a holiday update for you all.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 5:01 pm 

gauss wrote:
I still want to pursue a policy of open development--Mount & Blade style et al.

Colour me interested.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 7:52 pm 

It just makes sense for independent development. Not everyone is interested in the nuts and bolts of the game as it involves, but there are a few better ways to enfranchise your core players, who are interested in the evolving portrait of the game. These are the players most likely to become evangelists for the game as it gets closer to release; they have a legitimate sense of being a part of how the game comes together. It entwines all major concerns, frankly--blending marketing/"viral" efforts, early monetization and funding (preorders), and managing expectations. Nobody who played the retail version of Mount & Blade after having enjoyed the betas was shocked to discover the game went against expectations for what the game would be like. Those players in turn, if they played the betas and loved what they were playing, tended to be far more effective in convincing other people to buy a game because the argument need not be based on hype at all; they were making an informed decision themselves, and their friends' could trust their impressions as well.

I find modern AAA game development hamstrung in a lot of ways either by conventions borrowed and inappropriate to game development, or by simply not responding to the changing reality of technology and the way people buy and play games. Dev teams muzzled by marketing teams who have careful plans to reveal a frankly inaccurate portrait of the upcoming game.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 8:53 pm 

gauss

do you want help with this

i am legitimately trying to get into the industry (ha ha i am a cliche) and would like to at least help out

i can do many things and have no interest in being the idea guy