It is currently August 23rd, 2017, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: changelog
PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 5:04 pm 

5/05/11 notes
  • still not to Seattle yet but successfully moved out
  • literally soaking in a bathtub in western Wyoming currently
  • had brilliant thoughts while driving on subject of prototyping AI behavior relative to player that encompasses both "guard" and "civilian" interactions, working beyond a "are you wearing the right outfit" model a la Hitman yet in a closely related vein
  • seriously I have some great game ideas I should make them into a game.
  • :custer:

4/18/11 notes
  • yo player you ain't done shit
  • look buddy
  • changelog (and other such outward signs of progress) are likely on hold until May 10th or so. I am moving to Seattle, and am knee deep in all the packing boxes and so forth; it leaves scanty time to work on AM.

4/07/11 notes
  • editing this thread in reverse chronology to save scrolling.
  • worked with issues of collision hulls today. From what I understand, Epic tends to brute force collision hulls to the point at which from what I have seen, UT3/Gears of War levels appear to have an entire collision PASS in the level building cycle, which works for them apparently but is ludicrous from an indie perspective. Collision seems more than a little finicky in the engine so I spent some time getting to know how the engine tends to break up collision hulls that get passed to it from Max into primitives. More primitives/verts in hull = undesirable. It would appear that I want to refrain from joining all but the simplest shapes together, lest they fracture into multiple hulls once imported into the game.
  • My test asset today was a simple interior door frame. It's universality makes it easy to overlook its significance, how much work must go into getting it right in order to beat all kinds of problems before they show up. I know I will not be able to afford to caulk every little bit of a level in a separate pass later, as Epic appears to, so I will have to make sure per-object collision meshes are higher quality.
  • To this end, the door frame collision hull isn't square at all, each post is actually somewhat cylindrical. As it stands, 7 sided in fact. The outer edge is flat flush with the standard interior wall dimension, 4 uu (8cm), while the other sides have angles to prevent the player, clearly desirous to get through doors and not get stuck on them, to be gently funneled as such. It may prove ultimately unnecessary, but for now it makes for door frames that are easily run through even if your aim is a little off. The little things add up.

3/26/11 notes
  • High time I kept one of these, it'll make me a real developer.
  • Dodged a huge bullet with UDK it would seem. Documentation for UE3 licensees (not always applicable to UDK) suggests keeping the scale to roughly 1=1cm or near the UT3/UDK default of roughly 1=2cm; I had elected to use the former of 1=1cm. In addition to simply making work for myself by having to work on scaling the player up and so forth, it might have damned me to a very rough spot of trouble when adjusting elements that I would not have source access to, being only a UDK developer. Fixing this now saved potential catastrophe now.
  • On a similar note, discovered that custom collision mesh export (vital to development) was not working with .FBX, which is what I had been using. Switched over to .ASE, works well. Will it work for character export I wonder?
  • In addressing all of the above, I re-calibrated both scale in my 3Ds Max working environment, as well as in UDK. Tedious at first but now it's 100% set in both environments. Very easy to export now.
  • Remember scale factor of 30480% for max (from 1 unit = 10 feet in max to = unreal units, where 1uu = 2cm )
  • Clearest points of scale reference that everyone knows: A) 6 foot man B) 1964 Ford Thunderbird
  • '64 Tbird is correctly scaled now in the game
  • test collision meshes for Tbird and rail yacht. UDK does some funny things with collision hulls, need more time to learn the rules of how it operates.
  • TerreSculptor is in development, a program for generating terrains set up especially for use with UDK's new Landscape system. As the dude who is demoing it so far points out, Landscape just got implemented so is rough enough that's probably a good idea not to get too much into using it for production.
  • Is there a way to make holes in a Landscape mesh like you could for Terrain? Hmm.
  • To do: spending time with family and have big trip into next week, so I won't be able to develop much more on the computer. Ideal time to spec out how to approach prototype, exactly what I want to get accomplished first and how I'm going to do it on paper. What NPC behaviors, what player verbs, etc. Even the basic stuff needs to be explicated when you're just starting off. Also post more concept threads.
[/list][/list]

Last edited by gauss on May 5th, 2011, 10:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: changelog
PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 7:38 pm 

get a blog why dontcha

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 8:22 pm 

I'm doing some UDK stuff myself, and something that's really frustrating is how building areas from BSP brushes doesn't really work with the lighting. I know that nowadays more or less anything will be built from modular static meshes, but it's annoying if I'm trying to play with the pretty-as-fuck Lightmass stuff since I don't really know 3D modelling very well at all.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 5:14 pm 

Lunaphile: I think I take your meaning... yes, to really get at the visual power at your command you need a workflow that involves model building, there's really no way around it. Fortunately I've been getting back into that aspect after years hiatus and it's never been easier, honestly. It can be daunting to get into the pipeline as it exists now, when a typical asset might be bounced from 3Ds Max to Mudbox or ZBrush, and then back to 3DS Max and then finally to UDK, but there are best practices now that are well documented. Here is a dedicated subforum on polycount to dealing with all the vagaries of working in UDK, from an art/lighting standpoint: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 7:31 pm 

Oh haha, the first post I look at on that forum details the exact fix for the lighting forum I was having. Worth a bookmark :)

PostPosted: April 5th, 2011, 4:48 pm 

No updates to changelog because I was on a week trip with the family. Tomorrow come the discussions about explicit gameplay stuff and beginning work on the same.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2011, 4:50 pm 

Gauss "Notch" Werks

PostPosted: April 5th, 2011, 5:25 pm 

pariah dog wrote:
Gauss "Notch" Werks

changelog:
-can now not only tame wolves, but read their memory (as hinted in the title!)
-took my mother on vacation

PostPosted: April 6th, 2011, 2:25 am 

Classy. I like the above post.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2011, 11:08 am 

My tendency is to self-seriousness with all of this game stuff and I am trying to break the habit. I figure more posting is better than keeping far too tight lipped about it all and running around editing posts.

Well I'm recovering from spending most of the day flying yesterday but now it's on to actually talking about the gameplay, look for the thread.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2011, 2:51 am 

gauss wrote:

changelog:
-can now not only tame wolves, but read their memory (as hinted in the title!)
-took my mother on vacation

lol

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 12:59 pm 

changelog (and other such outward signs of progress) are likely on hold until May 10th or so. I am moving to Seattle, and am knee deep in all the packing boxes and so forth; it leaves scanty time to work on AM.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 7:24 pm 

hm. when's your move-in date? my classes start on the 9th, so if it's that weekend i could potentially help you move

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 8:04 pm 

orikae wrote:
hm. when's your move-in date? my classes start on the 9th, so if it's that weekend i could potentially help you move

Probably the weekend of the 8th but don't sweat it, I got enough hands around that I don't need to put in for literally international moving help. (my dollars vs. your loonies wont compare favorably when it comes time to buy you the honorary helping-me-move drink). You should however come by the next weekend, the new gausswerks design bureau studio will be very swanky indeed. Thanks for the offer though.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 9:31 pm 

i'll see what i can do. it's not a heavy financial load either way - i have enough friends in seattle that the only real cost is transportation

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 10:31 pm 

5/05/11 notes
  • still not to Seattle yet but successfully moved out
  • literally soaking in a bathtub in western Wyoming currently
  • had brilliant thoughts while driving on subject of prototyping AI behavior relative to player that encompasses both "guard" and "civilian" interactions, working beyond a "are you wearing the right outfit" model a la Hitman yet in a closely related vein
  • seriously I have some great game ideas I should make them into a game.
  • :custer:

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 11:00 pm 

where are screenshots, I really want to see this door frame

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 12:24 am 

incidentally, i'll be there from 1pm tomorrow to 7ish Saturday. if too busy, i'll probably be down in a month again

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 3:22 am 

great, cant wait to see you at the door frame. bring your camera, youll never see a frame like this one again

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 7:25 pm 

Where are the gun renders