It is currently November 17th, 2017, 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: the cyborg: Ada
PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 9:09 pm 

Still working on her characterization, but I knew I wouldn't be able to do her any justice by starting at the moment you find her as a pissed off/freaking out severed head. Here's Ada previous to whatever misfortune befell her. Later: earlier look development, including a lot of more robotic takes for the cyborg head that didn't work right, as well as hairstyle jurying.

Post subject: Re: the cyborg: Ada
PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 10:49 pm 

I've often wondered about the specific legal issues of using actual real-world items in games; for example, the absurd renaming of all the guns in counter-strike despite their obvious appearances. Given that you've quite clearly illustrated a pair of converse shoes there, I wonder if you've put thought into this or if it's more of a "whatever; looked cool" type thing (i've certainly been guilty of such when concepting stuff)

e/ nice lacing

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 8:28 am 

i think what alcoholist is trying to say is that steve urkel is gonna sue the shit out of you

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 8:52 am 

alcoholist wrote:
I've often wondered about the specific legal issues of using actual real-world items in games; for example, the absurd renaming of all the guns in counter-strike despite their obvious appearances. Given that you've quite clearly illustrated a pair of converse shoes there, I wonder if you've put thought into this or if it's more of a "whatever; looked cool" type thing (i've certainly been guilty of such when concepting stuff)

e/ nice lacing

This is a really interesting question with respect to videogames. The answer is that it tends to be complicated. As you may intuit from the Counter Strike example, most firearms manufacturers generally do not protect reproduction of the appearance of their firearms in games, but they can be a little prickly about trademarks, company names, product names and the like. Which is why the CS solution is a common practice. I think some of the big guns (pun intended) can afford to get not only the sanction of certain corporations but also a certain amount of consideration, though that's generally not for firearms so far as I know... I'm thinking more of the appearance of automobiles. Car companies are a lot more serious about protecting their marques, both in names and in vehicle appearance. I had a friend who helped design a good lions' share of the vehicles in Saints Row 2 and he spoke to the peculiar balancing act of taking iconic designs, modifying them enough so as make sure they didn't get sued, yet retain enough of the classic hallmarks so that players easily recognize what designs are being alluded to.

As for the appearance of the Chucks, I think so long as I do not reproduce their trademark star logo on the sides of the shoes I am sure to be fine. Close copies of the shoe appear everywhere... I believe the legal limit is something like 15-20% different designs? OK I am quickly outside my own expertise on the subject. Same goes for personal likeness, as was pointed out in the teaser thread Cassavetes is the clear inspiration for the first image of the Traveller, but when it comes to actually building game assets and so forth I'm going to have to be a little looser so as not to incur the wrath of his estate, for unsecured use of his likeness.

ladder lacing uber alles

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 10:49 am 

Not to sound like a dick, because I know how much I hate it when this kind of stuff is pointed out to me, but the design of the arms look a bit too much like Kat's from Halo: Reach (specifically the placement of the plating on the elbows and shoulder). Her look is probably far from finalized though.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 4:40 pm 

Just googled Kat Halo Reach and apart from both being robotic arms they are nothing alike. Kat doesn't have elbow plating and also where else would you put plating on an arm?

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 5:17 pm 

Her proportions are bugging the hell out of me and I'm not sure why. Torso's too short or something, and it's not just the weird pants(which are awesome, by the way).

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 8:02 pm 

I think it's just that her head's too big. Throws everything else off.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 8:51 pm 

nah i kinda agree with outlander here, look at how far up those pants are hiked

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 10:01 pm 

shoulders are usually two heads wide. the sternum is at the 2nd head length, navel at 3rd, crotch at 4th and bottom of knees at 6th. if you take half the distance of the shoulder span and measure from the crotch it works out properly. not exactly, but then people aren't exact

PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 12:51 am 

hmm

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2011, 5:08 pm 

Hate to state the bleedin' obvious here, but it looks like someone's watched a bit too much Blade Runner.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2011, 5:20 pm 

There ain't nothing wrong with that.

“It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to."

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2011, 5:21 pm 

so do you conflate ever piece of realist cyberpunk-esque art with blade runner or what

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2011, 5:25 pm 

Nah, just the smoking replicant with the similar hairstyle jumped out at me after I finally remembered where I had seen gauss' Ada before.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2011, 5:33 pm 

replicants are genetically engineered beings, not robots

ada seems to me to be closer to a Ford than roy batty

PostPosted: April 7th, 2011, 3:06 am 

Hmmm, what other semi-famous decapitated cyborgs do we have out there...

Edit: well, yes, he's technically an android.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 11:06 am 

dudeglove wrote:
Edit: well, yes, he's technically an android.

Artificial person, please.

I think that Alcoholist's head count is helpful. She has long robo-femurs, which is pushing the crotch high (3 heads down rather than something more like 4), but maybe that's intentional cyborg anatomy. That said regarding scale, I think that the individual components here are crisp and solid. In particular, both of those robo-calves and feet are lookin' real good. The shading and form is totally believable. Titanium castings, clearly.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 1:04 pm 

Yeah as far as the paintover goes, I would say that most sense of distortion comes from the period-style (30? 40s?) pants placed even higher than her natural waist*. Everything about the picture is careful, intentional. Though I should also point out, somewhat academic, as you never meet her in the game in this state, this was for me to get a sense of her character previous to when the player meets her and she is quite upset about the whole discorporation business.

But good discussion all the same, it is absolutely worthwhile to invoke any and all classic science fiction robots and cyborgs to see how she holds up or if I'm subconsciously biting from one or another too much. With some more views I think you will not mistake her haircut for that of Rachel's in Blade Runner, but that's for later proof. :)

*(Do Cyborgs Have Natural Waists? by Philip K. Dick)

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 9:34 am 

Just more crotchtalk: Speaking of natural waists, I see her hips as being a little narrow, which combines with my perception of high-crotch to put it a little off in the middle section. But again, maybe that's a cyborg 'tell' -- a unisex body chassis, even. With cosmetic, gender-appropriate panels up front (if ya know what I'm sayin'). Or why would cyborg women need wider, child-bearing hips anyway?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 1:21 pm 

johnb wrote:
Just more crotchtalk: Speaking of natural waists, I see her hips as being a little narrow, which combines with my perception of high-crotch to put it a little off in the middle section. But again, maybe that's a cyborg 'tell' -- a unisex body chassis, even. With cosmetic, gender-appropriate panels up front (if ya know what I'm sayin'). Or why would cyborg women need wider, child-bearing hips anyway?

the more feminine hips helps people like spambot get off

PostPosted: April 25th, 2011, 8:39 pm 

this just showed up on indiegames.com

i guess it's an FPS text adventure in full 3d?

the trailer is incoherent and i still don't really understand how it plays, but it looks interesting

PostPosted: April 25th, 2011, 8:51 pm 

Johnb: without tipping my hand immediately with regards to Ada's personality, you're picking up on a lot of cues in terms of her choice of "chassis," you might say. While I still love her outfit and overall look I'm not entirely sold on the fairly stock exposed metal bits for her body or for what most cyborgs look like in the world. The military style cyborgs will no doubt place the head in the center of the body cavity for protection, though, hopefully with some interesting gameplay applications.

orikae: no kidding! Intriguing is right. I like the colors of the world and the presentation, minus some of the editing choices and acid score. But intriguing, certainly.