It is currently December 17th, 2017, 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: gameplay overview
PostPosted: May 12th, 2011, 4:27 pm 

This might have already been suggested but for nonverbal interaction I believe the player's layout of weapons would play a big role. Where you carry your weapons, are they in the open or concealed. Perhaps implement nonverbal gestures such as moving your jacket to the side to uncover a pistol which might make some people back off.

Though you said you wouldn't like to animate more than you had to it would be cool to see a gesture wheel like the one found in Left 4 Dead but for verbal and nonverbal interaction.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2011, 9:47 pm 

johnb wrote:
Another idea for a compromise position:
With frequent use of the weapon, the non-soldier character would gain the muscle-memory of a soldier. You could allow the player to level-up past the discrete reload mechanic, and unlock the ability to 'press r to reload.' So, when the discrete reload mechanic starts to lose its interesting novelty and become tedious, it can just go away. This is how teh IRL skills are learned: through practice. I think gaining a shortcut skill through honest practice might be a satisfying way to invest in the character.

Anyways, this has been interesting, and I am looking forward to the next post.

+1 to this. Heh sounds like Achivement Unlocked : Muscle Memory.

The two issues I see are these:
- Players would avoid engaging multiple foes because prolonged fights might force them to reload more often.
- Players will favor one (usually simplest weapon) due to complexity of remembering different loading patterns. Also since Hitman has been tossed it means people that things like fiber wire would need to have equal complexity/disadvantage to gun in order to prevent people from going - God Wire.

EDIT: Just noticed the change of course. Well it wasn't intentional necromancy.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 5:06 pm 

I am against altering the gunplay just because muscle memory says so.
You will get enough muscle memory as a player from shooting and reloading. If your character all of a sudden changes the way he reloads his guns, mid-fight, or mid-level, it will annoy you. Even if the change is for the better.

http://i.imgur.com/y2X7l.png

Post subject: Re: gameplay overview (mostly outdated)
PostPosted: September 19th, 2014, 11:20 am 

Oh yeah your clothing, equipment, and the way you spend cash should be part of this non-verbal communication. NPCs be judging your social status based on everything. Avoid combat by bribes, avoid getting robbed by appearing poor. Fuck up a gang of seppos wearing a big blue trenchcoat - they won't recognize you if you're wearing something else. But what if they've got a german shepherd that can smell you? Then you dun goofd.

Stealing all this thread full of ideas btw.