It is currently September 20th, 2017, 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Screenshots for the faithful
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 6:45 pm 

Mentioned to most of you individually that I was shooting for a somewhat more comicky, more easily "read" look that also cuts down on production time. To this end all the environment art pieces are baked out with ambient occlusion maps in white, and then multiplied with color overlays in the editor materials. What this means effectively is that I am using Unreal to "paint" scenes much as one might color in a comic book. Still refining the technique of course.

Here's the first screenshot, more on the way soon:

Post subject: Re: Screenshots for the faithful
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 6:46 pm 

Tediore makes an easy to use gun!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 6:51 pm 

pariah dog, i will always love you

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 7:52 pm 

Hooray for screenshots!

Talking android heads would probably make sense in this corridor. Sort of Max Headroom-y color scheme.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 8:43 pm 

I like the architecture.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 11:41 pm 

Thanks everyone, even pdog, I sweah it won't look like Borderlands when the look is finished, I friggin' sweah

and yeah I am trying to go with some certain things with brick architecture... architectural/environmental anything takes a shitton of assets so it's still pretty bare.

A newer take on this same scene keeps crashing during the bake, some weird issue with baking one of the lightmaps that I am going to have to track down. More importantly, I got to stop doing the stuff I know I can do and get the core systems prototyped and running. Pretty pumped about the health system, look to the separate post on the topic in the AM forum.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 1:45 am 

yeah. while i do appreciate the screenshot, get some graybox shit going and worry about mechanics!

clearly i, an academic, know how to do your job

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 2:17 am 

turns out there's actually kind of a lot that goes into a full game. it's too enticing to put on the hats that I already know how to wear rather than putting on the new, uncomfortable ones.

it is a hat metaphor. Actually it's a game about collectible hats, the indie answer to TF2. Spoiler alert.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 3:16 am 

Delicious.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 1:43 am 

I see teal; I see orange.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 12:29 am 

dudeglove: shut it :)

still figuring out colors and such, ironing out approach to environments. had a real trouble with lightmap generation for over a week that i finally sussed out.
the screenshot below has a "filmic" tone mapper active, which crushes blacks down to make it look like film. which looks neat and all but tends to make scenes a whole lot less readable for gameplay purposes unless there's a lot of fill light to compensate. we'll see. was contemplating abandoning the edge detection stuff but i am going to keep with the flatter/2d related look for the game if only because A) i like it, and B) going the more traditional route and begging unfavorable comparisons to games with huge teams of dedicated artists does me no favors.

ignore the giant skull. or don't?

also nevermind the skulls here they're just the only small object i have knocking around the game at the moment. just kidding, you should never ignore skulls they're awesome.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 12:38 am 

If the colors in that second picture were Rusty Pipe Brown and Bloody Brick Red and those skulls were floating and rotating I would swear that it was from a Quake level.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 11:00 am 

I am really digging that second pic. Great shapes.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 9:32 pm 

Now all that building blog following stuff becomes clear at last.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 1:10 am 

hahahah yeah. What I really like about this is how the images evoke monumentality without going for the easy shot of "whoa it's craaaaaazy big" or "whoa it's craaaaaaaazy alien". And the pipes imply a functionality that yet remains abstract and intangible-- the pipes are functional and they do stuff but the overall purpose/architecture is utterly alien. Basically you've managed to take everyday objects and materials and recontextualize them in a way that makes them new and foreign.

Or maybe i'm reading too much into it, but either way i like it.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 1:55 am 

I find it very difficult to look at those colors.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 3:44 am 

GAZE UPON THE COLORS

I am actually shooting for a more sober color key but i do like to have objects very clearly distinct, it helps readability for a game environment.

dudeglove/wake: yes there's quite a bit i wish to extend from old shooters and their abstract environments and architectural nonsense, but i guess we'll see, won't we? :)

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 6:18 am 

Gauss' Edge

can I parkour on those skulls gauss

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 7:45 am 

hmmm

gauss can i come over while i'm in town and ruthlessly talk to you about your environments

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 4:03 pm 

no actually hes coming to my place and we're gonna show off our cool steam accounts and then we're gonna build a tree house and kiss in it

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 4:18 pm 

pariah dog is correct re: treehouse plans but yeah, when you get into town you me and ninjas are going to the speakeasy I love so much and hang out at my place and we'll talk all we want about all that designy stuff. I'll bump the PAX thread to make sure if anyone else is coming to town they see it.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 2:03 pm 

Snarky remark - Pipes are the new crates?

Disregard this nit-picking crit and continue working on a playable demo:
Maybe be careful with the brick texture. The slanted pyramid in the foreground (am006.jpg) caught my eye. That texture makes it seem like the top and bottom surfaces of the brick are not parallel to the ground, and no human would stack bricks like that. The bricks would be slightly stepped in, one above the other, to make the steep slope. It looks fine in the background.

And the round columns (in am005.jpg) jarred a little. The radius is tight enough that the brick texture looks curved. Check this out though.

Thanks for sharing these screenshots.. looking forward to all of your progress. Your June 2012 deadline will be here before you know it. Ok, my arbitrary one-year June 2012 deadline for your game will be here before I know it.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 9:13 pm 

pipes were the new crates in 2003(!) out of the mouth of tim sweeney. hazard to guess what the new crates are now (cover-based shooter cover of any stripe?)
I might have already mentioned that well, games sure take a whole buttload of assets. In my previous life as level designer-only, I was used to making a few asset requests and then making due with what I got. It's really odd to be wearing both hats and hearing my own brain make requests to the other part.

Anyway of course you're right about the bricks being laid on a slant, as in the foreground skull "altar". Basically in order for the bricks to have appropriate set-backs (an effect I really can't do all that easily with just a texture... or maybe not? hmmmm) I'd have to make it an actual modeled asset. Which I will, if little brick altars for skulls and pickups and things Becomes A Thing in this game, which it might.

These screenshots are awfully protean, I guess it doesn't really need to be said. It makes me twitch every time I post one because my own inclination is to hold back, but I talked some talk about open development so here we go!

Up next: switching gears to some character work. Zbrush and the like, maybe some new concepts too~~

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 2:13 am 

yeah yeah blah blah show us the guns already

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 6:53 am 

You know whats a good place to talk about this stuff? a blog. update your blog gauss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next