It is currently August 18th, 2017, 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: AMTest01 (DOWNLOAD HERE)
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 3:42 am 

As promised, at least on twitter (which counts as fully three tenths of a real promise), I am uploading the first playable build of the game as I type this.

Get an early peek at the world, the vibe, and a the simplest of collectible hunting for "gameplay" for this first release.

PLEASE READ NOTES.JPG BELOW TO PLAY IT RIGHT:

I a simple man, and so did not quite configure the build correctly with respect to gametype. To play so it works right, that you can correctly pick up objects:

UDK requires I set up my own option screens and everything, which is quite a ways down the road. So you'll have to make do with a few console commands for a while.

to set fullscreen
like everything else, alt-ENTER.

DX11 card recommended, maybe required (fully dynamic lighting might be too much for DX10 cards. Let me know!)
approx 300mb. it would be smaller if I could strip out more of the UDK default material that comes with the editor, but that's an optimization kind of thing that'll have to wait for later.

That bit of music at the start is by my good friend and my-forum-not-visitor, Ben Sidwell.

Looking forward to any and all comments, let's hear it all. Happy to finally give you patient lot something playable, if only just.

http://animalmemory.gausswerks.com/download/UDKInstall-AnimalMemory.exe

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by gauss on December 23rd, 2011, 4:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: AMTest01 (about 70% uploaded)
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:04 am 

Who the hell plays with their y flipped? That is so crazy.

Post subject: Re: AMTest01 (DOWNLOAD HERE)
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:09 am 

It's up :)

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:29 am 

let the sexy begin

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:32 am 

"...and he feared the Radiator most of all."

--Annals of Initial Playtests, Volume XXV, Chapter III

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:41 am 

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 reference ftw.

Post subject: Re: AMTest01 (about 70% uploaded)
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:57 am 

Outlander wrote:
Who the hell plays with their y flipped? That is so crazy.

me

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 5:06 am 

yeah I was gonna say, there's a reason the Y is flipped by default in the build you get, because you're inheriting my control customizations

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 5:15 am 

I'm going to have to sleep on this one and take a look back at it a second time when it's not super early morning and my brain is functioning better, but I'm getting some very good vibes from this. Some really different senses of space even in what objectively speaking is a small overall area, and in spots like the interior waterlogged colonnade I can imagine some very tense moments playing hide and seek with some seppos.

Also I very much wanted to have a trusty, well worn bolt action rifle with me while exploring there. Any other firearm would just feel out of place somehow...

Humorously, when i went to collect my second tape i accidentally went for the 'E' key instead of 'F' and as a result collapsed in a pile at the foot of the tape. It was appropriately dramatic and I began cursing myself for falling into such an obvious trap (I mean, the tape was clearly lit, of course it was a trap) until i realized i was just feigning death.

Oh, and (pseudo-SPOILERS) the last tape i collected was the one at the desk/altar inside the main building so there was a nice sense of place for the end of the demo. (END)

All and all a good start I say. More!

Also, I too am an inverter.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 5:38 am 

works fine on a dx10 card

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 5:44 am 

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 6:10 am 

Xavexgoem wrote:
works fine on a dx10 card

haha yeah as someone pointed out, i dont think i actually have any way of enabling the game executable to run in dx11 mode yet anyhow. but that's good to know.

i only put a point on it because in dx11 mode, you get a bonus in deferred shading, which significantly helps rendering lots of dynamic lights, which is what i am using exclusively.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 8:49 am 

I like the basement area in the main building, especially the mezzanine-type floor formed by the wooden panels resting across the arches. The sudden shift from the sun-drenched blinds and big open space of that officey-type area to the waterlogged, claustrophobic basement below is great. The whole building reminds me of the old industrial red-brick buildings that have been renovated into trendy offices or apartments and the old abandoned flour mills that dot the riverbanks of places like Newcastle-upon-Tyne in England. Buildings like that often take on the odd bit of architecture stolen from the Romans or Greeks, like those arches and that big Ionic-style portico.

Were you planning on adding anything to the Horizon? I quite like the bleakness of it as is; the only thing in and out of that place is that giant pipeline.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 10:41 am 

Just add some triggers for pretentious narration, possibly including convoluted clues as to the buildings history, and you'll have yourself an award winning Half Life mod.
Seriously though, I liked the use of light, and the whole thing felt very lonely. I think the light shafts in the main building added a lot to that feeling. I also noticed it felt like I had a lot of freedom to get around certain parts of the level in interesting ways despite the simple movement, though I'm not sure if that's intentional or if I'm just saying "thanks for not having pointless invisible walls".

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 11:17 am 

gawd someone do a LP for youtube already so us retards with piece of shit rigs get to see what it looks like in all its alpha glory.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 12:50 pm 

Forgot to ask in my last post - What is Left Shift supposed to do? Other than tap dance...

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 12:58 pm 

Thanks for the level! Was giving us a Christmas present an external deadline that you worked to, or did you just happen to be ready?

I put some comments on screens here to give you specifics. If someone does figure out a clean way to record audio and video, that would be a productive way for you to outsource playtest feedback. Hopefully somebody will post something.
http://johnburnett.net/johnb_amtest01_screens.zip

Stream of consciousness comments:
  • Great intro music!
  • The speed, arms, and drunken-idle-sway of the default space marine obviously does not fit the space. I would recommend a "walk" key, instead of run and Shift-Run, particularly when walking on precarious ledges.
  • That being said, some of the long hallways will only be tolerable with ridiculously fast Unreal jetpack shift-running. I vote that you break up the long bits instead of relying on an unrealistic pace.
  • I like the free-form go-anywhere-you-can-jump-to construction of the level. It's refreshing. However, I did get stuck between two pipes once and had to "~fly" out.
  • I also dramatically and accidentally feigned death off of a precipice instead of grabbing a tape by pressing 'e' instead of 'f'.
  • You gave this to us with no 'purpose' or backstory. I think it works well as a lonely tape-hunting game -- but, is that what you are making? The eventual use seems important for me to evaluate it.
  • I know that you are pinning your style on high-contrast lighting. I found it to be either dramatically beautiful (facing the sun) or aggravatingly dark and claustrophobic (on the shadow side, or viewing any walls of blackness). Upping the ambient light would help me out there. I feel some eye-strain, to be honest.
  • The mood is very eerie, visually. Great work! Sound effects and some music cues will knock it out of the park.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:09 pm 

I agree with John that some of the hallway distances in the current setup would be problematic without the super run, but at the same time this is while exploring an area where you know there's no danger and you're just looking for things. Imagine having to cross that same hallway, bare as it is, knowing that at any second a Seppo could pop around the corner. Trying going through the same environment with these tracks alternating-- I found it recontextualized the environment to better fit having unhappy Seppos lurking around.

Also, I took a minute to just run really far out from the building, and not only did the fog give it all an interesting cast but also it made me think about the building being part of a larger system all connected around this wasteland of ankle-deep water. Something like that makes finding an actual precipice pretty frightening/interesting, possibly having buildings and interesting things stuck way down there. Also makes me think about the bizarre quality of sailing/boating on a sea of knee or waist deep water--loosing your boat would doom you just as much as out in the ocean because of the distances involved in travelling... or something-- clearly there are a lot of places to go from here.

Last edited by wake on December 23rd, 2011, 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:12 pm 

Fonic wrote:
I like the basement area in the main building, especially the mezzanine-type floor formed by the wooden panels resting across the arches. The sudden shift from the sun-drenched blinds and big open space of that officey-type area to the waterlogged, claustrophobic basement below is great. The whole building reminds me of the old industrial red-brick buildings that have been renovated into trendy offices or apartments and the old abandoned flour mills that dot the riverbanks of places like Newcastle-upon-Tyne in England. Buildings like that often take on the odd bit of architecture stolen from the Romans or Greeks, like those arches and that big Ionic-style portico.

Were you planning on adding anything to the Horizon? I quite like the bleakness of it as is; the only thing in and out of that place is that giant pipeline.

thanks, glad this came through. the next turn on the assets and coloration I will try to make this far more explicit. What I am interested in exploring is an architecture of accretion. There's a church in Rome that was built sometime in the Middle ages, sited directly on top of an early Christian church, which was sited on an ancient Roman worship site. You can go down through the basements and literally go down through time.

The level as it stands, none of that really reads, since each aspect has very little connection to the next, but I will draw this out more explicitly. The underground colonnade for example is the oldest layer, a certain kind of structure (though arbitrarily so, in this version), which at some point got another building built onto/over it.

Another highly influential experience: visiting the pyramids at Giza, and then Saladin's citadel. which was partially constructed by taking blocks from the smaller pyramids at Giza. The citadel compound itself also growing over time, as these things do.

So that's definitely a through-line for the whole game, hopefully one intelligible enough for gameplay purposes as well. Such like, certain characters/creatures might only be found on the third level, or the second or top level. Vertically stratified architectural ecosystems, like a rain forest.

Electric_Pope wrote:
Just add some triggers for pretentious narration, possibly including convoluted clues as to the buildings history, and you'll have yourself an award winning Half Life mod.
Seriously though, I liked the use of light, and the whole thing felt very lonely. I think the light shafts in the main building added a lot to that feeling. I also noticed it felt like I had a lot of freedom to get around certain parts of the level in interesting ways despite the simple movement, though I'm not sure if that's intentional or if I'm just saying "thanks for not having pointless invisible walls".

Yeah I am happy to report that the ambience seems to have been particularly successful. No mistake about interconnectivity, though. Along with the architecture of accretion that I'm working on from above, I am also highly motivated to work on levels that are about as nonlinear as you can get without losing some sense of pace, flow. Very much a work in progress, this level was approached a bit too randomly for that to work properly.

johnb wrote:
Thanks for the level! Was giving us a Christmas present an external deadline that you worked to, or did you just happen to be ready?

I put some comments on screens here to give you specifics. If someone does figure out a clean way to record audio and video, that would be a productive way for you to outsource playtest feedback. Hopefully somebody will post something.
http://johnburnett.net/johnb_amtest01_screens.zip

Stream of consciousness comments:
  • Great intro music!
  • The speed, arms, and drunken-idle-sway of the default space marine obviously does not fit the space. I would recommend a "walk" key, instead of run and Shift-Run, particularly when walking on precarious ledges.
  • That being said, some of the long hallways will only be tolerable with ridiculously fast Unreal jetpack shift-running. I vote that you break up the long bits instead of relying on an unrealistic pace.
  • I like the free-form go-anywhere-you-can-jump-to construction of the level. It's refreshing. However, I did get stuck between two pipes once and had to "~fly" out.
  • I also dramatically and accidentally feigned death off of a precipice instead of grabbing a tape by pressing 'e' instead of 'f'.
  • You gave this to us with no 'purpose' or backstory. I think it works well as a lonely tape-hunting game -- but, is that what you are making? The eventual use seems important for me to evaluate it.
  • I know that you are pinning your style on high-contrast lighting. I found it to be either dramatically beautiful (facing the sun) or aggravatingly dark and claustrophobic (on the shadow side, or viewing any walls of blackness). Upping the ambient light would help me out there. I feel some eye-strain, to be honest.
  • The mood is very eerie, visually. Great work! Sound effects and some music cues will knock it out of the park.

Thanks for the detailed comments. And yes, I am flying out later today, so it was a deadline to get something playable before Christmas/the end of the year.

The tape hunt is to allow for some kind of light gameplay/a way to prompt exploration in the space, rather than just having you wander around the map.

A lot of your comments relate to issues with the player controller I've cobbled together, mostly from a single source, and generally I find it wanting; the next build will probably have a much more traditional feeling FPS camera.

As regards to ambient light, I made sure that there weren't actually any perfectly black areas in the game (this was a problem in an earlier build)--the whole level is suffused with a low blue/purple glow. Not pointing fingers, but it could be a gamma issue. Anyhow, the player will get their own source of illumination, and once I have time, I will do a proper lighting pass as well. The lighting in this level was rather too slapdash.

Thanks for playing everyone, please keep the comments and feedback coming.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:16 pm 

great now I have to watch the Proposition again

also John, took a look at your screenshots, 100% helpful notes. Especially the stuff that tends to hang-up the player's progress through space, I've felt those as well but often these notes get buried under ever-lengthening to-do lists. Those will definitely be incorporated next round.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:46 pm 

I had two basic thoughts while playing:

-the structure of the level seems almost the exact opposite of a "normal" FPS level in this way. The standard treatment is to show you "epic" vistas, and as you play you find most of the interesting aspects of the scene to be inaccessible. This level seems very prescribed at first blush (although very pretty and unique)-- a single building and some walkways, and as you play the possibility space expands in ways you do not expect. I thought going into the water would mean certain death, but instead it opened up the play-space in unexpected ways. Being able to surprise the player like this is, I think, the single most important part of game design.

-I kind of wanted the colored bricks to be normal bricks that had been painted.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 12:51 am 

- this is a hard level design problem to solve: how to make a surreal space that still offers some built-in assumptions for players to use to navigate... if this were a library, I'd know there's a front lobby, some archives, a reading room... right now this is a pipeline / gutted neoclassical thing? it looks really cool, but I don't know how to navigate or read this culturally. is it a fortress? a hideout? I definitely didn't expect to find that cistern area -- which was impressive, but it was also, like "how do I fight in here and what's happening?"

- dark saturated palette is very very cool and sexy, but it makes the level very hard to visually read for me, e.g. stairs blend in with walls, relying on silhouettes so much... I would make the ambient / fill lights brighter. in general, I'd try to follow the Natural Selection ethos with this / "Hollywood night" -- make it feel dark and saturated, but not actually be that dark, if that's possible. I won't lecture you on color, you probably understand the theory much better than me, but as a player I'm just saying it was hard to figure out how to get to where I wanted to go, and part of it was finding "hidden" stairs in plain sight. and what happens when seppos are shooting at me and I have to squint to barely see them, and I have to run and quickly find cover?

- which leads me to another concern: how to read this in terms of gameplay affordances, when you don't have any gameplay in place yet. We might want to give DX3 shit for how linear and simple the level layouts were, but at least they were readable and simple enough to execute a plan -- "that's the sniper balcony, that's the security room, that's my destination, that's the rocket launcher dude, there's boxes in the middle with some bullshit patrol routes, and here's my plan."

- in that underground cistern room with arches, put landmarks half-sunken in the water to help with orientation, and consider making the arches a bit bigger for just a bit less repetition (the pattern silhouette effect was cool kind of dizzying for me), and/or add some windows to the cistern area to get some light coming in to help orient.

- oh my god, default UDK movement feels really awful, yikes

- in general, I think the BioShock Infinite concept of "player RAM" is really applicable here. everything here is so densely packed, so full of stuff, that it's hard to keep everything in my head and I end up choosing random paths (the easier way) than strategizing on some basic level, e.g. "I want to walk there." Say I'm playing Stalker, and I'm outside a building -- a small vertical line of windows on the corner exterior might indicate a stairwell, so I'm going to try to pathfind there to control the stairs. In comparison, this central building is a black box.

- I think your next step is to implement an NPC grunt, add some gun archetypes, and think about how to shape encounter spaces. Use default UDK stuff if you have to. Already, I see an optimal strategy being something like stand outside, fire wildly to attract attention, then snipe vulnerable NPCs as their pathfinding AI tells them to walk along the unprotected catwalks snaking around the building. Or something like that.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 7:44 am 

Im gonna play this game as soon as I finish fixing the computer I murdered the last time I was at my parents house, but I want you to know that Im gonna pretend I pirated it because I feel thats what spambot would do

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 11:33 am 

gauss wrote:
I am also highly motivated to work on levels that are about as nonlinear as you can get without losing some sense of pace, flow.

As Radiatoryang touched on, it is hard to evaluate the level without knowing what sort of enemies it will be populated with. But, I just wanted to comment on how I felt navigating the empty level, with respect to your comment above. A recent Penny Arcade article talked about Gabe feeling paralyzed by choice playing Skyrim. I felt a little of that playing through the level. I ended up overcoming it by choosing randomly. But, combat posturing may provide enough impetus to push the player down the path of least resistance/most cover.

On the conceptual side, after I typed the above, I made a little diagram (from memory, sorry for where it's wrong) of the level, thinking about it in terms of tree search. Different colors represent different heights, but it isn't terribly important to follow the map exactly. You probably already have this map scribbled somewhere.
Please imagine a railroaded, purely linear, level as a tree with no forks - a straight line from beginning to end. Your non-linear level has plenty of choices. I think that I actually felt anxiety as a player when I was confronted with more than two forks or choices. Or maybe it was the accumulation of those choices. Part of the algorithms for search include keeping track of the "frontier" of unexplored branches. This is a list of paths not taken. Personally, I can only keep that list at about 2 or 3. More than that and I start forgetting which paths I need to go back and explore. This level tends to loop back on itself to present those choices to you again, which I think is a useful and entertaining trick.

I think that your level actually does pretty well for limiting the number of paths, while making it seem like it is highly nonlinear. The loop around the building helps with that. Some subtle lighting and decluttering to make options more recognizable would help guide the player more. Not sure that it needs that without seeing the effect of pressure from enemies yet, though. Eventually, even without any external prompting or mission briefing, my goal became 'how the hell do I get into this big interesting building?' which I think is pretty great design.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 1:20 pm 

Ninjas wrote:
I had two basic thoughts while playing:

-the structure of the level seems almost the exact opposite of a "normal" FPS level in this way. The standard treatment is to show you "epic" vistas, and as you play you find most of the interesting aspects of the scene to be inaccessible. This level seems very prescribed at first blush (although very pretty and unique)-- a single building and some walkways, and as you play the possibility space expands in ways you do not expect. I thought going into the water would mean certain death, but instead it opened up the play-space in unexpected ways. Being able to surprise the player like this is, I think, the single most important part of game design.

-I kind of wanted the colored bricks to be normal bricks that had been painted.

thanks, I think that even at this early of a stage, certain ideas are already coming out. This is a response to both you and certain comments from johnb and Yang--I consider my level design work something of a retrieval and expansion of old school level design.

allow me the digression, but to me the defining point in this development is the splitting off of deathmatch-only maps from standard maps. Doom shipped with no deathmatch only maps (though modders and mappers would make DM-only maps very quickly). this means all the original SP maps were expected to double as DM maps, even if somewhat perfunctorily. any of the larger keyhunt maps were of course terrible for DM), but some of the SP levels ended up being very very good DM maps. unsurprisingly from a modern perspective, they were the maps with the most interconnectedness, the most circular flow. A competitive multiplayer map is always about this kind of flow, constantly throwing players back at each other--all modern competitive multiplayer maps are shaped like some sort of lopsided donut.
but once they understood this and started making maps custom tailored only for multiplayer, and made "pure" single player levels, the latter suffered tremendously. single player levels have been continuously inbred from that point on, with no new blood, to the point were we are now: single player FPS maps are like demented inbred royalty, no new blood for generations. weakminded and frail.

i bring this up because i think that early single player maps, because they were expected to have some of these flow traits ideal for DM, were much better single player maps as well because of it. anything to get away from strict linearity, but not in an unpredictable fashion. and this relates to what johnb is talking about with route choice paralysis: you can address this by making sure most routes through the level actually cross paths multiple times. this significantly reduces backtracking, which in my mind one of the very clearest ills of a SP map, linear or otherwise. you're only backtracking to get at something you missed (or because a designer is forcing you to), so by crisscrossing various routes you can make DM-type search and destroy algorithms perfectly serviceable in a single player context. which i think is encouraging, because if anything, modern FPS players have a wealth of MP-related skills and complete atrophy for dealing with even moderately sophisticated single play.

and thank you for the comment about the vistas and whatnot, I especially wanted to handle that issue head-on. which is to say, the most interesting seeming spaces are typically not accessible in a game. i was pressed for time but originally i intended to make the whole map open, all the way up to roof access for both buildings. sense of discovery is really important.