It is currently September 20th, 2017, 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: GDC 2012 walkabout teaser trailer
PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 7:46 pm 

I like the Dubstep version too... :mameshiba:

Having watched it a couple of times now, the tilt does seem quite mechanical... although perhaps that was your intent? :D

Although I don't think you'd notice on an iPod, to be fair.

(btw I have no idea what a mameshiba is, nor the correct protocol for using a mameshiba emoticon)

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 2:18 am 

SKY DONGER

Skoosc wrote:
A (Oh god I am so sorry!)

I'm surprised at how well that works.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 1:47 pm 

as regards the tilt-up to the tower, i've been getting this comment in a few places. yes, it is intentional. i wanted to be... conservative about "cinematic" virtues. a trailer is a trailer, and is judged on noninteractive merits quite rightly, but in presenting the game i want to be very austere. minimal cutting, no fades, no title cards unless over black. i liked not giving the camera the kinds of heavily smoothed out floaty camera tracks that are so easy (and therefore) so common in UE3 cinematics. emphasis on the game and gamely virtues, not filmmaking virtues.

as i've been tweeting about, making cinematics in udk are as easy and fun as they are pure agony to endure as a player. so aside from the very old school intro/outro cinematic, i dont want to have any cutscenes in the game, and i don't want trailer content to slick things up like a movie, either. LOOK I GOT OPINIONS OKAY.

anyway point being is i totally get why people aren't a fan of the very mechanical 90 degree tilt up at the end of the trailer, so all i can say is that it was at least intentional.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 3:19 pm 

The real question is whether or not the camera is rotating in the final shot, or if it's the spiky UFO/donger.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 5:10 pm 

:) I am so pleased.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 1:20 pm 

:) thanks Copper, your support means a lot.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2012, 3:24 am 

I do really think that camera tilt would have looked damn nice with a curve :/

even a really really slight one that could bring it into "semi natural" status.

I also think that maybe the water could have used some waves. I know it'd be impossible in that dome, but I feel like it needs something to break up that tiling.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2012, 4:29 am 

I like the atmosphere is shows. It really feels like an alien world.
/*spoiler about A Quiet Earth.
Same feeling i got watchin the end of A Quiet Earth.
*/
Not Pandora's cushy wushy Disney jungle set.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2012, 5:07 am 

Fucking distinct lack of GDC tweets, Jack.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2012, 3:45 pm 

xalener wrote:

I also think that maybe the water could have used some waves. I know it'd be impossible in that dome, but I feel like it needs something to break up that tiling.

Oh man, but how terrifying would it be to suddenly see a wave 20 hours in to the game? I imagine any waves here would be caused by some ancient and potentially malevolent machinery activating, or just collapsing...

gauss wrote:
as regards the tilt-up to the tower, i've been getting this comment in a few places. yes, it is intentional. i wanted to be... conservative about "cinematic" virtues. a trailer is a trailer, and is judged on noninteractive merits quite rightly, but in presenting the game i want to be very austere. minimal cutting, no fades, no title cards unless over black. i liked not giving the camera the kinds of heavily smoothed out floaty camera tracks that are so easy (and therefore) so common in UE3 cinematics. emphasis on the game and gamely virtues, not filmmaking virtues.

as i've been tweeting about, making cinematics in udk are as easy and fun as they are pure agony to endure as a player. so aside from the very old school intro/outro cinematic, i dont want to have any cutscenes in the game, and i don't want trailer content to slick things up like a movie, either. LOOK I GOT OPINIONS OKAY.

anyway point being is i totally get why people aren't a fan of the very mechanical 90 degree tilt up at the end of the trailer, so all i can say is that it was at least intentional.

I somehow manage to agree with every step of your reasoning, but coming to a completely different conclusion. You can keep things simple without being shitty. It's a camera move that kinda just makes it look like you don't know what you're doing (and that obviously isn't true). I fail to see how easing in and out of that turn to make it feel a little more natural constitutes a bloated budget or a wish to be cinema. I mean, the problem with overly cinematic trailers is that they try to sell you on the game using things that have nothing to do with the game. You're running in to the same problem here from the other end. Your arthouse horseshit austerity on camera angles isn't part of the game, either. Don't get pretentious about how not pretentious you are, gauss.

Don't be a hipster.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 8:29 am 

Outlander wrote:
I somehow manage to agree with every step of your reasoning, but coming to a completely different conclusion. You can keep things simple without being shitty. It's a camera move that kinda just makes it look like you don't know what you're doing (and that obviously isn't true). I fail to see how easing in and out of that turn to make it feel a little more natural constitutes a bloated budget or a wish to be cinema. I mean, the problem with overly cinematic trailers is that they try to sell you on the game using things that have nothing to do with the game. You're running in to the same problem here from the other end. Your arthouse horseshit austerity on camera angles isn't part of the game, either. Don't get pretentious about how not pretentious you are, gauss.

Don't be a hipster.

this is how I felt watching the trailer as well. Outlander summed it up very well and I don't think I really need to say anything past what he said except saying that I felt the exact same way.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 6:31 am 

I'd like to agree with P-Dog and Outlander.

The upwards tilt really seems out of place with the mood of the piece.
I don't like the falling debris bit either, seems unecessary. A lot less necessary than a smooth tilt.

But saying that, the overall mood is spot on, the whole thing feels ominous. I felt that as a player I would feel very vulnerable in that environment.

Darkchild

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 7:36 pm 

:| Really now? I didn't mind the tilt. It made me think of a Valve game. They so rarely take control of the camera away from you that it's jarring when they do. You didn't want to look up, but you had to.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 8:52 pm 

I'm not taking issue with the presence of a tilt, only the oddly mechanical way in which it was done.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 1:06 am 

just so everyone knows: you were right, Gauss really does smell like freshly cut apples in real-life

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 1:42 am 

THEN WHY DID NEITHER OF YOU TWEET ABOUT IT.

Honestly, what's the point of us following you if you're just going to bang on about JE Sawyer the whole time.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 2:15 am 

As for all this stuff about the tilt, I know none of you would be talking about how much it bugged you if you didn't care about how it turned out. I realized that I saved out a lot of in-progress versions of the level as I built the trailer so I would like to do a commentary/making-of video, maybe once this post-GDC headcold subsides.

Yang I am sorry the later meet-up didn't go through, maybe if your social sets weren't locked up until 11pm on a sunday night! geez

as small appeasement to dudeglove for lack of coverage: my brother chatting with the wolfire community fellows in order to get the duel mode up on his computer netted a couple of photos taken of he and i playing the overgrowth duel mode at gdc.

my brother (wake on here on the forum) on the left, me on the right

and what's this? my rabbit football-kicking his rabbit in the face?

if you have two wired controllers and a copy of the overgrowth preorder alpha it's a blast. completely mental, but very much fun.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 10:44 pm 

gauss wrote:
Yang I am sorry the later meet-up didn't go through, maybe if your social sets weren't locked up until 11pm on a sunday night! geez

what?! you said you and you were brother were cavorting around the presidio all day anyway! Don't try to pin this on me, monahan!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2012, 4:41 am 

Radiatoryang wrote:
what?! you said you and you were brother were cavorting around the presidio all day anyway! Don't try to pin this on me, monahan!

Trust me, I'm as upset as you are about this. I will note that if Gauss is anything like his brother, then he is very, very smoochable. Everyone deserves at the very least to have the chance to blow him a kiss once, even if it's in front of a dollar store. Hopefully being able to rub said kiss on him afterwards as well.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2012, 4:41 pm 

gauss is indeed very smoochable.

the artist in me likes the mechanical tilt because of what a violation of convention it is, but the PR social media guy in me knows that people will just get a queasy flashback to shitty HL mods and close the page

either way i love it and i'm looking forward to future updates from GAUSSWERKS INTL, LLC