It is currently June 28th, 2017, 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tomb Raider re-boot x 4 (Super-long read!)
PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 1:04 pm 

tacoo wrote:
On the contrary, I think it would add some cool variation: Instead of the quick and supple gameplay, suddenly the player would have to move very slowly and every enemy encounter would most likely be fatal. Obviously you would have to compensate level-design to suit the gameplay. That is, no long distances to cover, and points of interest should be quite concentrated.

Ah, I see your point. I was thinking this was going to be more of a sequence than a feature (like the nuclear Armageddon bit in CoD:MW), if you get my drift. I sure would like it as a feature. The thread on the separation of character/player was going in this route regarding pain (i.e., that you can introduce some other element to compensate for what the character is experiencing but what the player can't experience).

tacoo wrote:
I certainly agree. This is why I pleaded for and end to the whole rape-conversation about three pages up. However, this seems to have gone by unnoticed.

EDIT:
I suppose rape is just too fun to talk about :P

It's a touchy subject, obviously. It got me thinking about how games could be used to explore systems of power, fwiw. That'd be an interesting discussion, if only for all the controversy it'd create :-p

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 1:24 pm 

Xavexgoem wrote:
It's a touchy subject, obviously. It got me thinking about how games could be used to explore systems of power, fwiw. That'd be an interesting discussion, if only for all the controversy it'd create :-p

make all the enemies dress like nazis and make you lick their boots clean wait what

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 1:37 pm 

Xavexgoem wrote:
I was thinking this was going to be more of a sequence than a feature (like the nuclear Armageddon bit in CoD:MW), if you get my drift. I sure would like it as a feature.

Yeah, that segment didn't add much gameplay-wise. It was very well done from a cinematic perspective though.

Xavexgoem wrote:
The thread on the separation of character/player was going in this route regarding pain (i.e., that you can introduce some other element to compensate for what the character is experiencing but what the player can't experience).

I believe I read that thread, but I have to look it up again. In the scene I imagine the player has to tap a single key (perhaps space) to crawl one "step". The more intensely you tap the key, the more quickly Lara will get tired, and if you crawl to far to fast she'll make a pained noise (+ shaky screen) and have to rest for a two or three seconds. She can also roll left or right, but slowly. The crawling-segment would only take place inside the camp, which wouldn't be to big. Perhaps the goal would be to crawl from one end of the camp to another, from the torture tent to the communications tent and then to the center of the camp where the helicopter would land. Enemies would be few and slow-moving, but spotting one and you would be likely to die, since it would alert the rest.

She'd still have the gun and a few bullets, but she can't fire it while moving, and aiming is difficult. There'd be a firing range close by, so the player could get away with a few shots without alerting anyone. Low obstacles would be scattered over the camp to allow cover, and maybe you'd crawl past a couple of guards speaking of how cruelly Lara has been treated, something they don't approve of.

Xavexgoem wrote:

Yes. When you say games aren't ready for this kind of thing, I think you are wrong. It just has to fit the right context, and (as many posts here have implied) not be portrayed in a way that perceives the issue as a light one. It would require a lot of work on characters, to. I don't think Tomb Raider would be the right context.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 11:38 pm 

gauss, make a 'greatest hits' forum and move this thread there and then lock the forum

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 9:15 am 

pariah dog wrote:
knock her down a peg, give em the ol' one two rape-a-ma-goo. thatll get her good

maybe they could start half life 2 episode 3 with gordon freeman going down some stairs that break like at the start of hl2 except this time alyx isnt there to help him and the combines just rape him. rape him nasty. that way the player can get a sense that not even freeman is safe from rape since the combine are super-soldiers

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 1:11 pm 

Why was this moved to the front page I'm trying to get more people to come to the forums and I don't want them to see the psychotic moron who made this post

But I guess now that it's here, can I just say I'm so glad I was on forum hiatus when this thread was created because I think I might have had a rage aneurysm if I'd been here

I was reading this with anger and disbelief and I was actually shaking and then I got to

Quote:
knock her down a peg, give em the ol' one two rape-a-ma-goo. thatll get her good

and I laughed so hard I started crying and whenever I think of it I keep laughing and I'm weeping as I type this post holy fuck PDog I adore you

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 3:43 pm 

scratch my earlier post, make the forum named 'pariah dogg appreciation station'

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 4:58 pm 

Hi tacoo, you must remember me from Subject 311 some years back. I made this for you link a long time ago.

On topic: your reboot of Tomb Raider seems to make the game into something completely different from what Tomb Raider already is.
Tomb Raider doesn't really need that much of a story, just clever platforming and a female protagonist that isn't afraid of kicking in some teeth when required.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2011, 10:15 am 

zombieOnion wrote:
Hi tacoo, you must remember me from Subject 311 some years back. I made this for you link a long time ago.

Subject 311 was a while ago indeed :D I screwed it up big time though. Extremely over ambitious, lacking knowledge and being very perfectionistic.

zombieOnion wrote:
On topic: your reboot of Tomb Raider seems to make the game into something completely different from what Tomb Raider already is.
Tomb Raider doesn't really need that much of a story, just clever platforming and a female protagonist that isn't afraid of kicking in some teeth when required.

It's not so much about what is needed as what would be appreciated. If we never fixed things that weren't broken we'd still be living in huts made of mud. I personally love to see characters from not so serious environments being transformed into something that could actually work in real life. Just think of how Batman has changed since the 60's. Think of what made Half-Life famous.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 7:21 am 

tacoo wrote:
It's not so much about what is needed as what would be appreciated. If we never fixed things that weren't broken we'd still be living in huts made of mud. I personally love to see characters from not so serious environments being transformed into something that could actually work in real life. Just think of how Batman has changed since the 60's. Think of what made Half-Life famous.

Neither batman or Gordon Freeman would work irl hth

also what made half life famous was not its mature new take on gordon freeman. In fact it wasn't its mature new take on anything. If you played Half-Life for the story you completely wasted your time

PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 7:24 am 

by the way still laughing at the pariah dog rape-a-ma-goo post. A+ would emptyquote again

and when I read this thread months back I didn't notice that you predicted a metascore of 93. lol

PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 2:26 pm 

Liesmith wrote:
and when I read this thread months back I didn't notice that you predicted a metascore of 93. lol

only a 93/100? sounds like hes needs better rape fantasies to squeeze that last point out of Xbox World Australia

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 3:18 pm 

tacoo wrote:
I personally love to see characters from not so serious environments being transformed into something that could actually work in real life.

This is a really good point. Imagine a gritty reboot of Mega Man, where he gets raped by Dildo Man in one of the first scenes of the story. I think it would really ground the series in reality and give Mega Man some emotional depth.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 3:53 pm 

Imagine if, after killing dildo man, Mega Man was forced to take his powers and use them to defeat the other robots? really symbolizes the cycle of sexual violence.

CRITICAL RESPONSE: Metascore is a 98 out of 100. Later IGN posts long article defending giving the game a 94 instead of a 100, citing the game's poor English voice acting.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2