It is currently June 24th, 2017, 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: about Brigador
PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 12:37 pm 

Hey guys. Here's why I went completely silent about Animal Memory. For about the last year I've been working with brother (wake on these forums) on his team's game, called Matador (edit: now Brigador).

Matador is an isometric mech action game. The story: a colony world's capitol city has been carved up by rival factions. Offworld interests will pay a lot of money to someone who can get the city back under control in a single night, and that's you.

So the game is about you taking all 9 sectors (levels) of this city, in a single playthrough. Yes, shades of Spelunky or Binding of Isaac, but for us the highly random roguelike influence was less interesting--in Matador, you get to choose your vehicle, and your weapon loadout. After that, staying alive is up to you, less about random chance. But playing will earn you different weapons and new vehicles to try out. Tanks, Mechs, and Agravs--three very different styles of vehicles.

Inspired some classic PC titles, as well visual/thematic inspiration from John Carpenter's Escape From New York and Walter Hill's The Warriors.

So far we've got our first playable build, "Mtest2", which we'll have a thread on shortly (dudeglove's thread being a preview). The game looks about what it ought to, aside from particles, explosions, destroyed vehicle effects, and a whole lot of polish for starters.

Screenshots from the first test:

Post subject: Re: about Matador
PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 12:42 pm 

Looks interesting, look forward to seeing how this turns out.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 2:26 pm 

I was planning on doing a big announcement post about the game, but fuck it. I started working on this game about the same time that Gauss started Animal Memory, and much later we decided to join forces; it just so happens that this project is the one we decided to go forward with. For the most part, what you see in the game was designed / rendered by him, and the data behind it was done by me. Still a long way to go with the game obviously, but we're finally at a point where there's something worth talking about, hence bringing this up on the forums. Speaking of which, some good friends of mine who aren't active in GWF currently will start popping up over the next few weeks to talk about the game and mix it up a bit. Will be good to get some fresh blood in here, just play nice like you folks always do.

Anyway, the plan is to post a new build every friday evening-- I can iterate quickly enough on the data that I should be able to respond to feedback by the next build version. You guys are the vanguard on this, so I appreciate any and all feedback.

First posted build, Mtest3, will be up tonight.

LET'S DO THIS

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 2:29 pm 

Dang, and I blew the whistle on it. Derp.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 2:41 pm 

all good. I tend to fret away about the presentation on this kind of stuff for too long anyway, so it's good to have it out.

As a final note, from now on I'm going to make a concerted effort to always be on the GWF steam chatroom if you guys ever have questions or want to catch me directly. Chances are if I'm not in there it's because I'm sleeping. Which may come at seemingly random hours of the day.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 3:24 pm 

Also bear in mind currently only one tileset and one gang are represented in the game, and even those aren't complete. We're planning for 3 more gangs and many more maps and tilesets, so you'll see those building up over time. As a tease, here's some of the Spacer units-- beauty shot and as they'll look to scale in game:

PostPosted: October 19th, 2013, 11:06 pm 

:o

Where is my shit, you guys? I've completely lost it.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2013, 4:36 pm 

Cool designs.

Post subject: Re: about Brigador
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 7:59 pm 

PC GAMER BABY [] :mameshiba: :cod: :custer:

but of all the things, *why* did they use that as a pull quote?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 1:05 am 

we didn't know you were making SR4 DLC

PostPosted: June 10th, 2015, 10:29 pm 

why hasn't DC announced the fact he's writing a book based on Brigador on here yet?

PostPosted: February 25th, 2016, 2:06 am 

OK, crazy sitrep time.

Both of our programmers, aka the "brain trust", are leaving within the next few months. Dale, who began building the engine and was responsible for writing anything AI related has gotten a fucking sweet ass job offer at Insomniac Games for which I take full credit. He's getting paid almost 4 times what he made working with us in addition to full benefits and tickets to every game conference ever. I will certainly stay with him if I ever end up visiting LA.

Harry is not entirely sure he even wants to stay in games, and is fairly certain he doesn't want to be involved with a small developer so he's almost certainly leaving us and either joining a larger company or leaving games as a whole. Regardless, we love those guys and there's absolutely no bad blood anywhere and they're going to support the release until everything is fixed regardless of what goes down. But what this means is that gauss and I get to shop our next project all over the place to make it happen-- we'll let you guys and you guy alone know as soon as we know what the fuck is going down. In the mean time I'm going to get drunk on Gin and dream about being as hard core as DC is as a man and a writer. Until then, this is me passed out on my living room floor.

Also I'm being interviewed by the BBC tomorrow. Will post links when I have them.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2016, 2:35 am 

PostPosted: February 25th, 2016, 8:32 am 

where the burgerdoor gif at

PostPosted: February 25th, 2016, 8:17 pm 

Quote:
But what this means is that gauss and I get to shop our next project all over the place to make it happen-- we'll let you guys and you guy alone know as soon as we know what the fuck is going down.

Project: P.A.N.T.R.Y B.O.Y - A game built by GWF. Realize the true potential of a development team that consists of 2 Artists and over 30 Ideas Guys. It'll be every genre of game and also none of them. It'll be built in a hybrid of 4 different engines (2 custom built) and also be part board game. It'll have a manual that's over 5000 pages long and written in a combination of Russian and English. Pre-order bonus is an actual AK-47. And the Fonts will be fucking amazing!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2016, 2:31 am 

I'd buy that for a dollar

PostPosted: February 26th, 2016, 7:41 am 

Price point at 15 dollars or no purchase.

Fucking slackers.